Festival of sacrifice.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
In honor of Abrahams willingness to butcher his own son according to the voices in his head, lets celebrate the the delightful holiday of Eid al-Adha.

If this doesn't put a halt to live exports to the middle east or countries who demand slaughter according to islamic law / traditions / culture, I don't know what it will take.

*Be warned, this is abhorrent footage*

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-22/anti-cruelty-rules-disregarded/5834644

Eagleburger said:
Religious fanatics and animal rights activists. Two sides of the same coin.
You don't need to be ideologically opposed to animal slaughter to see somethings drastically wrong here.

Pre fatherhood I could shoot rabbits and other small game, after the birth of my first daughter, I underwent some sort of psychological change, I can now only shoot at targets and cannot bring myself to shoot a living animal, but though I cant do that I do often think their are some humans who don't respect other life be it animal or human, I think I could willingly put them down without a conscience.

I used to kill and butcher that which I caught and shot. Since my current missus does it , I have lost the stomach for it.

Dave70 said:
You don't need to be ideologically opposed to animal slaughter to see somethings drastically wrong here.
Dead is dead fred

Pretty average footage that is for sure.
Don't we allow animals to be slaughtered in similarly barbaric ways in our own back yard for our religious citizens (of certain faith)?
Indeed we do....
[SIZE=small]"There are a small number of abattoirs in Australia that have been granted permission from the relevant State or Territory food authority to conduct religious slaughter without prior stunning – for either Halal or Kosher (Jewish slaughter) purposes. These ‘approvals’ are effectively exemptions to standard Australian slaughter practice. The proportion of animals slaughtered under these exemptions is very small, but nevertheless that any animals are slaughtered without stunning is of concern to the RSPCA." source http://kb.rspca.org.au/what-is-halal-slaughter-in-australia_116.html[/SIZE]

I can't really talk though, all my fish are basically killed the same way. Perhaps I can work on a more human approach. How do you stun a fish?

Cheers,
D80

wide eyed and legless said:
Pre fatherhood I could shoot rabbits and other small game, after the birth of my first daughter, I underwent some sort of psychological change, I can now only shoot at targets and cannot bring myself to shoot a living animal, but though I cant do that I do often think their are some humans who don't respect other life be it animal or human, I think I could willingly put them down without a conscience.
You couldn't, which is why you're not running around the Middle East with a black flag.

Off topic.(Not really still dealing with animals)
I am sure I could but not under that black flag against it. But they don't need my help the Kurds have been giving their captives some torture before killing them, don't agree with the torture but agree with putting them down, I watched an interview with some ex American soldiers who are helping the Kurds they talk of eliminating the IS fighters, and on the subject in other American speak, the White house said that they will try and locate any hostages and if a rescue mission is not viable they will neutralise the situation.

Diesel80 said:
I can't really talk though, all my fish are basically killed the same way. Perhaps I can work on a more human approach. How do you stun a fish?
Getting more off topic but.......I keep a folding filleting knife in my pocket, if fish is a keeper, it gets whacked on the head with the heavy end of the folded knife nice and quick. Wade back to appropriate spot to bleed out fish, and photo if needed. Look, here's one I got after work last week:
Stclairtrout.jpg
Not really much to brag about but its been a ******* real slow start to season for me.

So, yeah.....If the fish is making its way to the table, whack real hard on its head with something real hard. Same as stunning any sort of game and/or apprentice/human. Well......Apprentices aren't human. But they still stun the same before butchering.

I go fishing 2 or 3 times a week and it is not often I kill fish only when my wife has been getting on my back do I bring them home and that is the most humane method of killing, stun first that's not so hard for any species, though in the fishes case one good blow to the head is enough, or put your thumb in its mouth and pull back to break its spine.

Staying ot but for quick and humane fish dispatching, search for " iki-jime " it's the best. Shuts down the central nervous system and makes a huge difference in the fish quality.
And in a pinch you can use a Phillips screwdriver.

I have seen a similar thing to that with crabs I think on River Cottage.
Getting back on topic, from the link which Dave 70 put up it seems to me the crowd were getting enjoyment from the suffering of the animals which makes it even worse, I would like to say don't export to those countries but the farmers need the money and the livestock would be purchased elsewhere.
Educating them wouldn't work as they don't treat humans with any more respect as we saw the respect offered to those animals.
While in China I saw lack of compassion for the edible creatures but their own pets were treated with compassion, hard to work out how their logic works.

I don't have a problem with how the animals were slaughtered in the first video, it is gruesome but not intentionally cruel.
I bet none of that meat was wasted.

Far more compassionate death than the rats get on a soya bean farm from rat poison. That can drag on for a week. A lot of the poor little bastards actually commit suicide if they can.

People are starving in that country and they pull that shit, I can't imagine what 300,000 buffalo would look like alive.

Not a fan of this religion thing.

Latest posts

Back