Fermintation Only Lasted 3 Days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotboost

Reaction score
Hi , Brewing my virgin brew and the bubbler has stopped bubbling away after 3 days . I thought and read normally about 5days.. Temperature has be hovering around 26c . good ol queensland weather.
Do I do a yeast top up or take my chances to pour it on day 6.
I'm thinking of pouring off to a secondary container for a week. Getting rid of some sediment then bottle
Is that the better option?

Help future Alcholic :D

Right. First thing anyone is going to ask you is "have you used your hydrometer?". Yes you need to use your hydrometer.

Fermenting at 26C will likely finish it in 3 days. You will probably have a very fruity beer with a hot alcohol or solvent like character, not pleasant for your tastebuds or your head.

By "pouring off" I hope you mean carefully transfer with sanitised, food grade tubing without splashing. Simply pouring beer will oxidise it and make it taste like sherry and/or wet cardboard. I would not recommend this for your first brew unless you have practised this with water before.

I believe there's an article in the Wiki (and shedloads of threads) on temperature control. Temperature control is the second most important thing to remember for homebrewing, after sanitation. 18-20C is a good range for fermentation.

Take an hydro reading now. Give it 3-4 days and see what hydro you get then.
You can also give it a stir with your (sanitised) brew spoon.

Rule 1: The idea is to get identical hydometer readings 2-3 days in a row. If it stays the same, bottle/keg it. If it changes wait untill it stabilises (Identical readings 2 days in a row) then bottle/keg it.

rule 2: Forget the air-lock and focus on your hydrometer readings. Air-locks are unreliable. I don't use one personally, I just seal my fermenter with cling wrap, a rubber band and a small hole.

Rule 3: Don't panic! patience is the key. Keep an eye on your hydrometer readings and you will be fine.

Rule 4: Last but not least, Read some books on the subject!!

Take an hydro reading now. Give it 3-4 days and see what hydro you get then.
You can also give it a stir with your (sanitised) brew spoon.

Rule 1: The idea is to get identical hydometer readings 2-3 days in a row. If it stays the same, bottle/keg it. If it changes wait untill it stabilises (Identical readings 2 days in a row) then bottle/keg it.

rule 2: Forget the air-lock and focus on your hydrometer readings. Air-locks are unreliable. I don't use one personally, I just seal my fermenter with cling wrap, a rubber band and a small hole.

Rule 3: Don't panic! patience is the key. Keep an eye on your hydrometer readings and you will be fine.

Rule 4: Last but not least, Read some books on the subject!!

Just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon.

"Don't Panic" ... seems I've heard that before. Just Do It ? Deja vu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

My first home brew was the same. At first it had a musty taste which has eventually disappeared and it's really good now. Though no more brewing without a fridge from now on.

Latest posts

Back