Fermentis T-58 Best Fermentation Temp ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using T-58 in my current batch.

After just gently spreading the dry yeast on the surface of the wort after 12 hours it was off like a rocket. You could see the yeast particles dancing around inside the wort. After 2 days the krausen started to fall. Original gravity of 1.042 and after two days 1.014.

Noticed a sulfur smell which is considered normal for this yeast.

Tasted the 2 day old sample that I drew off into the hydrometer tube and it was nice. A bit of clove undertones a lot like some old style German wheat beers.

Fermented at constant 20 degree and now lifted it to 22 to help it finish off.

I go at 22 degrees and get bubblegum, a bit of banana and pineapple lolly with some cloves to offset. But more weighted to the esters rather than phenols.

Excellent dried yeast.

I once had a Chimay Red and it was full of banana! The best Chimay Red I have ever had.

I believe T-58 is very similar to Chimays yeast strain.

For me, the temperature probe is stuck to the side of the plastic fermenter. I have then taped foam over the top to insulate it from the outside air temperature.

As I live in Melbourne its cold enough to just use a heating belt as the ambient temps have been lower than fermenting temps.

This is an old post, but I want to share my two cents. I have a friend from Germany that is really into the Weissbier from Weihenstephaner. After read a good post related to some cloning efforts I tried to do my clone. All my previous efforts with liquid (Wyeast) and dry yeast (WB-06) failed to reach the cloves (phenols) profile until I tried T-58, based in some research comments, fermented 2 days @ 18C and then let the fermenter go up to 25 C for 10 more days to allow the yeast to sediment a bit. Cold-crashed for 4 days and the final result received a “It’s the same beer I used to drank in Germany…” feedback from my friend. Love this strain but you need to use it only if looking for a esterly and high phenol profile in your beer.

This is an old post, but I want to share my two cents. I have a friend from Germany that is really into the Weissbier from Weihenstephaner. After read a good post related to some cloning efforts I tried to do my clone. All my previous efforts with liquid (Wyeast) and dry yeast (WB-06) failed to reach the cloves (phenols) profile until I tried T-58, based in some research comments, fermented 2 days @ 18C and then let the fermenter go up to 25 C for 10 more days to allow the yeast to sediment a bit. Cold-crashed for 4 days and the final result received a “It’s the same beer I used to drank in Germany…” feedback from my friend. Love this strain but you need to use it only if looking for a esterly and high phenol profile in your beer.

Sounds interesting, what recipe did you you use ? I have some T-58 that ive been wanting to use.

Sounds interesting, what recipe did you you use ? I have some T-58 that ive been wanting to use.
I create my own BIAB recipe based in the advise for batch #3 from sillysir.com/recipe-weihenstephaner-hefeweissbier/ the important part of the brew is the double decoction

Edit: attached a snapshot from my recipe. Happy brewing!

Attachments

• 46894540-9D0A-41C9-B2F0-7874056DE9F0.jpeg
    46894540-9D0A-41C9-B2F0-7874056DE9F0.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back