Fermentis T-58 Best Fermentation Temp ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleaninglady

Reaction score
I'm making a Belgian Wheatbeer with T-58.

I've heard a few people say this prefers around 22C.

At present it's 18C in the Kitchen with a Jacket around it to keep temp stable

Any suggestions ?

cL

That's a pretty big range though acasta. If someone asked what temp should they ferment their coopers kit at would you LMGTFY them to the kit instructions or something better?

I think CL is wanting to know the experience of other brewers with T-58 rather than what it says on the website. That is a 9 degree range which isn't very specific and is just the range in which the yeast will be most active, not necessarily the point at which it is the best.

Apologies for never having used T-58 and therefore having no actual answer.

I've heard of wildly different experiences from different people with this yeast, even at the same temps.
I've used it up to 24 with a nice fruit spicy profile.
I've used it around 18 with a similar but more subdued profile.

Others I know have reported massive pepper/spice even at 18.

18 will be fine in my opinion.
Let it warm up a little towards the end if you can would be my recommendation.

T58 is good around 20C.

Much above and it gets fruity; much below and it gets slow (still tastes the same).

I haven't used it in a while though - for those kind of beers I prefer the liquid yeast range - more complexity.

I still use dried yeasts for APAs and Lagers though, so I'm not bagging dried yeasts.

Whatever temp your bin is currently at.

I know I am being an arsehole, but I seriously disliked this yeast and would highly recommend considering a good liquid strain if you want to go Belgian.

So, more constructively, the lower temp with a rise at end of ferment is great advice from bconnery. The pepper might actually do well in a wit.

Thanks all !

Unfortunately i might have killed it !

Put it on the heat pad for a 'while' yesterday , forgot it ; went to work last night , got back at Midnight and it was like a boiling kettle.

It had chewed through the sugars down to 1.022 from 1.049 in a day but now it's looking very brown on top and i think the Yeast population may have suffered an accidental Yeastocide.

It should get down to 1.014 , do you guys think it's going to make it ?

cL

hey hey

Its proberly still fine, from what I recall when I used this yeast it was a fast fermenter and my records say my temp was at 20 C. I'd still keep it in the primary for 7-10 days just incase and to ensure its complete then bottle or secondary ferment as usual.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Dickman

I figured that a steady temp in that range would suit?
I guess a specific temp would have been better.

Bugger, sorry to hear you've nuked your brew :(

For what it's worth I have tinkered with this yeast a fair bit. 18 degrees is wasting this yeast IMHO as it comes up quite neutral and doesn't showcase all the yummy flavours this yeast can impart.

I find 21-22 degrees is ideal, 24 if you want big peppery characteristics or a little bit of hot alcohol in the mix.

Have done modestly well in a couple of Belgian Comps & Categories using this one at 21. It's great for your Abbey beer styles.

Cheers, and better luck on the next one - this is a yeast worth persisting with.

Hopper.

Bugger, sorry to hear you've nuked your brew :(

For what it's worth I have tinkered with this yeast a fair bit. 18 degrees is wasting this yeast IMHO as it comes up quite neutral and doesn't showcase all the yummy flavours this yeast can impart.

I find 21-22 degrees is ideal, 24 if you want big peppery characteristics or a little bit of hot alcohol in the mix.

Have done modestly well in a couple of Belgian Comps & Categories using this one at 21. It's great for your Abbey beer styles.

Cheers, and better luck on the next one - this is a yeast worth persisting with.

Hopper.

Couldn't agree more, it's a fairly versatile yeast and as pointed out above fermenting at around 20-22 gives you some really great flavours and aromas that aren't too subtle or overpowering.
Works a treat in a Belgium Strong Golden Ale.

Andrew

thanks people ! it did get up to 26C !!! maybe i can call it a '2nd day diacetyl rest' ;)

after pulling the plug and getting the temp down to 18C today , even though the yeast doesn't look so good i'm still getting bubbles in the airloclk every 30 seconds so there's likely enough juice left in those yeasties to finish it off...going to leave it for another week.

I think it's going to be OK , if not a bit overtly peppery ; (which suits me just fine).

Anyone got thoughts on racking or not ? It's really , really cloudy ; it may help things in that respect.

cL

Whatever temp your bin is currently at.

I know I am being an arsehole, but I seriously disliked this yeast and would highly recommend considering a good liquid strain if you want to go Belgian.

So, more constructively, the lower temp with a rise at end of ferment is great advice from bconnery. The pepper might actually do well in a wit.

Bizier,

AndrewQld above made a Belgian Golden Ale with this yeast which was one of the best homebrewed beers I've ever drunk.
It walked all over the other Belgian beers made from liquid yeast in the State comp last year.
It's not the yeast, it's how you use it B)

Cheers Ross

Couldn't agree more that the T-58 is a ripper to use in a Duvel Clone/Belgian Strong Golden Ale. You could even use this yeast in your own version of a Belgian Blond or Brun if you wanted.

Did a Belgian Strong Golden last year using the T-58 and it came up beautifully. Gotta say though - the Wyeast 1388 when you're trying to get it bang on is always best (you get more pear ester synomyous with the style, so will get a bigger nod from a brew judge) - but the T-58 does a very good job with very few hassles and most will not tell the difference. Fooled plenty of people at my brew club last year when I handed it around.

Hopper.

OK, the mob has spoken. I will admit that I did not stick with it, but first impressions were not positive at all. I will concede and defer to those who may use it to good purpose. Hell, I might even go buy some. For the record, I currently have no liquid strains in my house other than a Roselare blend, and currently have 3 brews going with US05.

I could imagine the pepperiness could work in a wit, but I would prefer it to be waaaaaaay more subtle that I was copping out of my batch, whose primary use was drain solvent.

Anyone got thoughts on racking or not ? It's really , really cloudy ; it may help things in that respect.

I remember my one batch having very strange yeast formations on finishing lots of suspended yeast forming weird clouds that made me think I had an infection. A web search just verified it is a poor flocc'er. I suggest that you just let it properly finish, but swirl it around every now and then, so it is not too still. Finally, cold crash if you can, and hit it with some gelatine prior to your final vessel.

Bizier,

AndrewQld above made a Belgian Golden Ale with this yeast which was one of the best homebrewed beers I've ever drunk.
It walked all over the other Belgian beers made from liquid yeast in the State comp last year.
It's not the yeast, it's how you use it B)

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross, and I think your right, it's how you use it. Fermentation temps play a big part in the profile of this yeast.

Is that the toasted oak one?

Yes Manticle the swap beer is similar to the QABC entry but slightly under carbonated compared to the Comp beer.

Cheers
Andrew

I'll give you an idea of what NOT to do with T58....

HUB July case swap was coming up so the decision was made to brew a Belgian Dubbel. I cultured up a Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) but the day before the planned brew I saw a tiny piece of film on the top and new I was in trouble. After dumping that culture the only thing I had available was T58. Not a bad thing as I love the yeast but the fun was only just starting.

Brew day came so I re-hydrated some T58 and mashed in. All was going well until I noticed my ferment fridge not reaching the set temperature. A quick play around and realized the gas had dropped out so my fridge was useless. Not a problem, I thought, as the ambient temp at home was about 18 so sitting the fermenter on the bench shouldn't be a problem. WRONG. The ferment activity on the 7.7% Dubbel raised the temp to 30...

The esters that T58 throws at that temp are an exactly the same as Juicy Fruit chewing gum... Not ideal for a Dubbel but an interesting lesson learned.

So for all the HUB case swappers that want to drink 7.7% liquid chewy, give it a go.

Cheers
Booz

The T-58 saga continues...the yeast (as i mentioned at the Head of the Topic) got too hot (up to around 26C) after a heat pad mishap.

Reduced temp to 18C ; slow bubbling for another day (the yeast looked dead through the top of the fermenter) , then nothing for a whole day.

This morning , it started up again and back to bubbling about once a minute !
Not a total yeastie party like it was in the start but enough to get it over the line and reach the target gravity i'd suggest.
There is even some fresh yeast population grown on top of the dead yeast.

This is a good lesson to be learned : Relax and leave it for a few days and things usually turn out fine.

I've concluded with the help of all the fine forum posts and some research that if i use it again , i'm trying to keep it in the 18 to 20C Ballpark...

Yeast is a very strange and entertaining lifeform !

Thanks for watching !!

cL

Back