Fermenting Under Pressure

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by wobbly, 12/7/12.

1. pcqypcqy

Posted 29/9/17
    This might be a winner. I've found even solid yeast cakes can give me issues on the transfer, but I want to keep my options open for large or small batches and try to get as much beer off the cake each time.

I've already cut 20mm off mine, which works OK for a 5 gallon batch. I was going to cut more to make easier transfers on the larger batches.

2. pcqypcqy

Posted 29/9/17
    No floss - I find that they will float on their own, but like an iceberg some portion will be out of the beer which seems inefficient to me.

So I throw an unused stainless disconnect or keg part (depending on what I have around) in the stocking with the hops to submerge it some. I'd say they're still floating after I do this.

Gloveski likes this.
  3. Gloveski

Posted 6/10/17
    Haven't even used mine yet and Im alreay thinking of a mod. A conical set up to dump trub and capture yeast would be awesome . Something simular to blichmann's cornical but I wouldn't be interested in turning it into a keg .

4. pcqypcqy

Posted 9/10/17
    How would you attach it? If you're talking a custom welds, would you be better off hacking into some old kegs and attaching some kit pieces?

5. rossbaker

Posted 9/10/17
    Is anyone doing this in 19l corny kegs? This is my plan, let me know what you think.

Brew 34litre batch, no chill in 2 x 17l cubes, ferment these in 19l corny kegs, either with a blow off or a spunding valve or both.

Questions:

Will that be enough headspace? Im planning to use fermcap s.

Can the beer just be served from the same keg once the yeast is transferred out or does it need to be transferred to a serving keg? I have tried this with a small batch wheat beer but I wasn't so fussed about that being bright.

Tring to avoid the cost of buying 2 ibrew kegmenters for a while...

6. pirateagenda

Posted 9/10/17
    don't worry about the cubes. just transfer straight to sanitised corny's then purge the head space with co2. Then when they have cooled and you're ready to pitch, release the c02 and oxygenate the wort and pitch yeast.

17L should be ok with fermcap in a 19L keg. you could hook them both up to a 3rd keg from both gas posts to tee to liquid in on the 3rd keg to avoid messy overflow and only need 1 spunding valve.

7. pcqypcqy

Posted 9/10/17
    I think the yeast thing is probably not an issue on small scales and quick turn arounds. If you were leaving that beer in there for months and months, it might not be so great. The yeast may also clog up the dip tube.

Apparently there's also an issue with imploding corny's when you cold crash, though if your warm pressure is positive then you should be OK. I think this is an issue when you no-chill into a corny prior to ferment - you will get a decent negative pressure from the cooling of the wort.

8. rossbaker

Posted 10/10/17
    I have thought about that and my only concern is my current lack of an O2 setup. I imagine I would need to pressurise to a fair degree with co2 to counteract the vacuum effect of cooling and avoid the imploding corny pcpypcpy mentioned. Without the ability to directly feed O2 back in would this have a bad effect on fermentation?

9. pirateagenda

Posted 10/10/17
    no just bleed off the c02, open the lid and give the wort a good shake up or aerate as you normally would.

10. Gloveski

Posted 12/10/17 at 7:53 PM
    Yeah not really sure I'll leave it a while yet and look more into it down the track