Fermenting Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Hi all, is temperature as critical when fermentation is finished and fermenter is just sitting waiting to be bottled or kegged???

Cheers

Should be fine at room temperature as long as you are not intending to leave it for a couple of weeks. It is in the early stages of a fermenting brew that you really need to keep the temperature under control.

It's not as critical but it could be if talking extreme temps like mid 30's to 40's.

The most important time is the first few days from when the yeast is pitched. All the frantic activity by the yeast creates heat and if it is already hot then it does nasty things to your beer.

I have left wort in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks after it has finished fermenting but only when I had no other choice.

If you are going to have to leave it consider making up a quick dextrose solution and dropping it in to start a small fermentation going again. Do something like 100g of dextrose in 250 ml of boiled water. Ensure that it is sterlie. Lift the lid, pour it in and give it a quick stir, creating as little disturbance as possible. Try not to airate the wort if possible. Seal the lid agan.

I am always afraid that if left too long that it will suck back through the airlock. By adding that little bit of extra Dextrose it will give the yeast something to feed on again and will get the airlock moving again, buying you that little bit of time needed until you can get it bottled/kegged.

Brewjohno.

Back