Fermenting In A Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guysmiley54

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought 2 cubes from Bunnings not long ago to try out the NC cube technique as described on this site. It turns out the neither seal properly despite many efforts to sand and get the lids to seat properly...

Through necessity I have transferred todays brew into one and will be pitching soon. How is the best way to "seal" the lids in lieu of an airlock? I don't have any rubber bands otherwise I would use Glad wrap and a rubber band. The lids let air in and out, should I put a layer of Glad wrap before the cap or just go with a naked cap? Is there anything else I need to look out for/consider when fermenting in a cube? I have a tap installed so when it's time to transfer I'm good to go :)

i have a pair of lids with hole for airlocks and grommets in them.

I also did not have any elastic bands when I last used a cube, I used some fine string over cling film around the thread , worked great.

If you want to use them as cubes maybe try some "plumber's tape" (not sure if thats the right name) around the thread and then put the lid on tight, should help make a good seal.

I'm not sure which cubes you bought. Some have a rubber seal on the inside of the cap - that's what i use to seal mine with gladwrap.

For no chill I bought the blue jerry cans - they seal airtight - but i wouldn't ferment in them.

I also did not have any elastic bands when I last used a cube, I used some fine string over cling film around the thread , worked great.

If you want to use them as cubes maybe try some "plumber's tape" (not sure if thats the right name) around the thread and then put the lid on tight, should help make a good seal.

Will look for string... will try the plumbers tape too, hadn't thought of that. Cheers!

I'm not sure which cubes you bought. Some have a rubber seal on the inside of the cap - that's what i use to seal mine with gladwrap.

For no chill I bought the blue jerry cans - they seal airtight - but i wouldn't ferment in them.

I don't know the brand but they are clear with the word "WATER" embossed on one side. The caps don't have rubber in them. Would Gaffer taoe be ok to hold the glad wrap on tight until I can get to the shop? (Won't be home from work until 5ish tomorrow night)

Aluminium foil should also work, will press into the thread etc, it's all I use when sealing my starters.

But surely a homebrewer can think of an alternative to a rubber band ?!? :unsure:

As for the cubes not sealing, return them, especially since you got them from Bunnings.

I'd personally just use some Al foil. Double or triple it over, and put over the opening, squeeze around the edges etc.

Should get you through especially if fermentation has started!

Cheers

I found an elastic hair band, SWMBO won't mind if I "borrow" it right? ;)

The foil idea wouldn't be airtight right? Mostly a dust cover I would have thought... That's originally why I thought a poorly sealed lid would work OK.

Thanks guys

BTW Rudi, I am awful at being resourceful and anything even remotely practical when it comes to these types of things :unsure: You're right though, being a home brewer has forced me on a few occasions to pull out my tools and use my head, can only be a good thing!

Me too! Always have gaffer mate :p What do you play?

Drums, Guitar, Bass (in that order too!)

As well as playing out, i'm a private music teacher for a living. Not a bad job ;)

Drums, Guitar, Bass (in that order too!)

As well as playing out, i'm a private music teacher for a living. Not a bad job ;)

Guitar/Bass/Piano/Drums in that order :)

I've lived most of my career doing the same stuff that you mentioned although the last 5 years of it was spent more arranging/recording/producing than the other stuff. I own a cafe now, life changes! Music is a great life calling though, good beer makes it even better :super:

I bought 2 cubes from Bunnings not long ago to try out the NC cube technique as described on this site.

What's a cube? And what's the NC cube technique? I tried search to no avail, maybe someone can reply with a link to the thread.

take them back to bunnings and pay the extra $$ to get the blue willow cubes

I often ferment in cubes. I have used glad wrap and rubber band but more often I just tighten the lid, then back it off a touch so that gas can escape.

Recently I thought fermenting was nearly finished in an ESB so tightened it right up. Next day I came out to a very swollen cube so be careful if you follow the above method.

If your lid lets air in and out, it sounds as if it's perfect for fermenting as the gas will be released.

Latest posts

Back