Fermenting Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMonkey

Reaction score
Hi, New brewer getting back in the game after a couple of years

I have just organised a fridge to use my fermenter in for the beer, I don't have a fridge mate yet and may be a little while before I get one. What advice can you give on methods for fermenting without one, Should I turn the fridge on for part of the day to keep the temp down or should I leave it turned off and just use ice bricks inside. The average temp outside ranges from 24-32 degrees during the hottest part of the day (in a garage) which is my main concern as temp obviously fluctuates way to much.

Any advice appreciated

turned off and closed with a few bricks of ice would probably keep it around 18-20...

I wouldn't turn it on for a while, I would think that you could run the risk of thermally shocking your yeast wile the fridge is on. A lot of people use the Ice bricks and change them daily. I used this method before I had a fridgemate and was able to keep it down OK. If you do a search fo old threads I am sure there is quite a long string around this topic.

Good luck, welcome back to brewing!

As already stated, fridge OFF and a couple of ice blocks (and start saving for a fridgemate! B) )

Cheers

SJ

Thanks for the advice, I figured the ice bricks were the way to go.

I have also heard of people using a simple timer on the plug to turn on and off at certain intervals. I am told this works well, but takes a bit of trial and error to get right over a few days.

Best to trial with a fermenter of water for a few days

Thanks guys, the fridgemate is definately my next brewing investment.

simple, ordinary timer. 15min on 45 off for high 20's to low 30's, 15/75 for mid 20's, 15/105 for low 20's (all subject to ish) keeps the fridge at around 18C. Slightly longer on cycle during the hottest part of the day.

Sounds like it's hard to tweak in, but it's surprisingly easy, and the knack is picked up pretty quick.

simple, ordinary timer. 15min on 45 off for high 20's to low 30's, 15/75 for mid 20's, 15/105 for low 20's (all subject to ish) keeps the fridge at around 18C. Slightly longer on cycle during the hottest part of the day.

Sounds like it's hard to tweak in, but it's surprisingly easy, and the knack is picked up pretty quick.

I agree, don't be scared of technology that gives you more time to relax and drink beer. Get the timing correct and there is far less water or ice to deal with every day! :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back