Fermenting Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_yobbo

Reaction score
G'day,

My current fermenting fridge looks to have done it's last days as it now trips the RCD when turned on. When asking mates if they have any old fridges they're getting rid of, I was offered an upright freezer.
Any idea if an upright freezer will work as a brew fridge? Any features to look for?

Cheers

No… the upright freezer will not work… send it to me immediately for disposal. :ph34r:

Nah seriously, I have one and I rate it way above a regular fridge. Usually freezers have less junk in them like door moldings and flimsy shelves. They’re usually better insulated and have a better compressor, because of the temps they have to achieve. Heaps more space than a similarly size fridge. Crash chilling to 0C or below is easy as. Plus you can do Eisbocks if you want to.

Take it before your friend changes their mind. You’ll just need a tempmate or similar of course. I can fit 4 30L fermenters in mine. I posted a pic before in a recent thread about fermenting fridges. On the iphone now so can’t upload it again.

Thanks, I just read that post of yours in the other thread. Time to call the mate back.

just check a lot of freezers have fixed shelves

Back