Fermenting Freezer or fridge? STC 1000

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xander

Reaction score
I'm looking at investing in a fridge or freezer for the fermentation process. I live in an area with hot summers 40°+ and winters with nights that get below 0° so obviously, I will need something to keep my brew stable.

I haven't yet brewed anything, as I want to ensure I do everything possible to avoid a disaster!

My question is, will a small freezer, 90L or so be suitable? A friend told me that a freezer is better than a fridge, as they generally have better insulation. Can any one confirm or deny this point? Has anyone had success or failure using a freezer rather that a fridge?

Also, when using the STC1000, what is the energy consumption like?

Thanks for your help!

i use a chest freezer, freezers have much better insulation so when i ferment at 18d it wont turn on for hours, i just run it on high . freezers have more powerful motors so only need a minute to whip it back down to desired temp

I use a freezer for fermentation, works great.
Another thing to consider is that a freezer will allow you to cold crash your brew, without working the compressor as hard as say a fridge would.

I assume a chest freezer can get your wort down to pitching temp faster too....I brewed a Kolsch today and the immersion chiller would only get it down to mid 20's. Decided to put it in the FV then chuck it in my keg fridge, which (supposedly) goes to -4, but it took a good few hours before getting down to 18 where I felt ok to pitch (2565 yeast, fermenting @ 16C). I'm always nervous not pitching my yeast straight after chilling...I blame Palmer...

A well insulated chest freezer should knock it down quicker, and have to come on to keep the temp stable less often. I'm gonna keep an eye out for one to replace my fridge.

On the other hand, a front opening fridge is more convenient for taking gravity samples, with a chesty you'll have to take your FV out to take a sample I guess.

Thanks a lot people! Your help is appreciated.

The freezer I am looking to get is like a bar fridge set up, rather than the traditional chest freezer. At $40.00 I might as well get on it!

Cheers

If you're not strong, or have a dodgy back, getting 23 litres of full fermenter out of a chest freezer can be challenging.

Fortunately, I'm strong, and don't have a dodgy back.

Upright freezer for the win. Easier to load than a chesty. Gets colder than a fridge. Door generally doesn't have annoying shelves to get in the way. Perfect for eisbocks. Need I go on? Just make sure shelves are removable.

20131110_184821.jpg

Camo6 said:
Upright freezer for the win. Easier to load than a chesty. Gets colder than a fridge. Door generally doesn't have annoying shelves to get in the way. Perfect for eisbocks. Need I go on? Just make sure shelves are removable.

attachicon.gif
20131110_184821.jpg
I don't want to be putting bad ideas into your head, but I would be worried about stacking 40+ kg on those inside plastic mouldings. :unsure: :unsure: .

Maybe I am just the nervous type.

pcmfisher said:
I don't want to be putting bad ideas into your head, but I would be worried about stacking 40+ kg on those inside plastic mouldings. :unsure: :unsure: .

Maybe I am just the nervous type.
Nah, she's all good. The walls are very solid, the wooden panel spreads the load and they're squeezed in firmly with no room to move. Even if it could drop it wouldn't go far. Done countless brews this way but now you've jinxed me I'd better stop! :p

Camo6 said:

attachicon.gif
20131110_184821.jpg
Where did you score those square fermenters? Do you know the dimensions?

Camo6 said:

attachicon.gif
20131110_184821.jpg
what make and model is that one? I currently have 2 all fridges, I find crashing in current weather a bit hard on the Elec bill hence I haven't brewed for a while and stock are getting well into the red zone.

I love that setup camo, i'm looking at setting something up similar

carniebrew said:
Where did you score those square fermenters? Do you know the dimensions?
Big green shed stock em Carnie. Roughly 290x290x450mm

MastersBrewery said:
what make and model is that one? I currently have 2 all fridges, I find crashing in current weather a bit hard on the Elec bill hence I haven't brewed for a while and stock are getting well into the red zone.
It's a Westinghouse frost free freezer 351, MB. Bought off ebay for $90 - blew a ptc relay shortly after ($30 from Stokes) and hasn't missed a beat since then, touch wood.* It's a few years old though.
20131110_184750.jpg

jonnir said:
I love that setup camo, i'm looking at setting something up similar
This is probably my best investment in my short AG career. I dread the day it fails.

* The house RCD tripped some time last night. In my experience that tends to be from a failing frost free element on a timer. I have 3 FF devices, 2 of them in the brewery. I pray it was the kitchen fridge, the kids can live a day or two without food.

The stores around me stock the square and round ones as well as those cubes. Normally they're around the camping/barbeque/esky section but the last ones I got they'd moved them to a different aisle. I lucked upon them as even the staff didn't know. They were amongst the garden pots section I think.

Latest posts

Back