Fermenting coke

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fruity Lexia? Is that like fruit specific reading impairment?

Anyway, why ferment Coke when you can make a lovely looking reduction and eat it.

http://youtu.be/CdmYy5YKC1o

I thought a lot of the young kids now drink straight cordial before going out, turns my stomach just thinking about it, did something similar myself, hung over and in the supermarket picked up a small carton of orange juice and downed it, only to realise it was concentrated.

The best thing to do with coke is put Mentos in the bottle.....

sp0rk said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL8Wi7v80yM
Found this a few years ago, guy "successfully" ferments coke
He admits it tastes terrible, which thoroughly convinced me to not bother trying it
Well if it's already been done I won't bother haha.

Now mentos that's an idea kids will love that

The salt would probably be at the toxic level for the yeast. Plenty of melanoidins there though. A bit of dry-Miting perhaps?

I read somewhere (another forum I think) about someone fermenting a dextrose/brown sugar mix with soda stream diet cola flavor as it contains no suger and an artificial sweater. No idea if it is any good though

I brewed a pale ale a few years back with a % of coke as an adjunct. Left a chemically caramel taste, not a huge success!

Airgead said:
Uncle of mine used to go one better then the mosey and bring a cask of this

0002837_stanley_fruity_lexia_4lt_cask.png

to family BBQs. Dear gods it was awful. Tasted like unfermented grape juice.

The green briefcase! As pointed out it later becomes the silver pillow (and possibly a footy briefly before the snooze).

Akin to reading on a dessert/pastry forum if it's possible to make doughnuts from sand.

Mardoo said:
This has got to be the oddest thread I've yet read. Not including political discussions.
You're right. Its almost Christmas. Where's the recipes?

Ham in Cola
Recipe posted by Nigella Lawson.

Ingredients

for the ham
  • 2 kilograms mild-cure gammon joint
  • 1 onion (peeled and cut in half)
  • 2 litres Coca-Cola
for the glaze
  • 1 handful of cloves
  • 1 heaped tablespoon black treacle
  • 2 teaspoons English mustard powder
  • 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
recipe-image-legacy-id--1163498_11.jpg

Well, I did have a cast iron three ring burner resting upside down in a tub of cheap cola to get rid of some rust on it. After about 6 or 7 days there was this disgusting fermented surface mess forming which did certainly did not smell of lavender and roses. Not sure of the chemical process involved, it was interesting though.

Its the phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in rust converter. It converts the iron oxide into a protective layer of iron phosphate or something like that.

It certainly was a protective layer of something. Dirty white mouldy looking smelly gunk.

Airgead said:
Its the phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in rust converter. It converts the iron oxide into a protective layer of iron phosphate or something like that.
Star-San does the same thing

Back