Fermenting coke

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugdog1

Reaction score
Not sure as to where this topic would go so here seems as good a place as any.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to ferment coke before? Or if it's even possible?

I know this is a very unusual question but I had a friend ask today and I couldn't really give him an answer and now I'm curious.

Why?
If it has residual sugar then there's something fermentable (so not coke zero) but the phosphoric acid and other additives probably make healthy fermentation impossible.
I'd just buy some rum.

I don't know I guess he was just curious as he ask about what I brew Farley often.

I though that the acids etc could be an issues but now I kind of want to try it just to see what the results would be, I wouldn't do more then 2l or so as not to waste anything if it went terribly wrong

I recall reading a blog post where someone fermented coke & they said it was awful. Give your friend a packet of bread yeast and a 1.25L bottle of coke that you've drunk a glass from & tell him there's a guy on AHB who's curious.

Prince Imperial said:
I recall reading a blog post where someone fermented coke & they said it was awful. Give your friend a packet of bread yeast and a 1.25L bottle of coke that you've drunk a glass from & tell him there's a guy on AHB who's curious.
That is GOLD my friend

I'm fairly certain he would do It and drink it all just to prove he could

ND2_4183.jpg

PLUS

15coke.jpg

This has got to go places

Home made alcohol on the go for underage kids. Could be a new trend

Pugdog1 said:
Home made alcohol on the go for underage kids. Could be a new trend
I did always wonder why the kiddies haven't cottoned on to OzTops and Berri apple juice to make some potent cider

They don't need to, if they want alcohol someone will buy it for them so creativity is at an all time low in that area

Ducatiboy stu said:
Back in the good old days

011625.jpg
Back in the really old days hobos in the States would melt down shoe polish, which happened at that point to be mostly alcohol, and filter it through a piece of bread, drinking what remained. Group of athletes in my school started doing it. Had their own little trend going. Morons.

We used to buy Hoyt's essences and mix them with sugar/water and it would somehow make some potent but awful shite. I can't figure out how it worked, surely there was nothing to ferment the sugar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL8Wi7v80yM
Found this a few years ago, guy "successfully" ferments coke
He admits it tastes terrible, which thoroughly convinced me to not bother trying it

Dave70 said:
Pfffft..

Look at mister 'glass bottle' will ya. Fuken silver tail..
Uncle of mine used to go one better then the mosey and bring a cask of this

0002837_stanley_fruity_lexia_4lt_cask.png

to family BBQs. Dear gods it was awful. Tasted like unfermented grape juice.

Latest posts

Back