Fermenter Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most important thing is that the internal-dimensions best-fit your fermentation vessels - everything after that is secondary (since it will usually be used at 'warmer than fridge' temperatures and even when it is used it will not need to do much work).

The most important thing is that the internal-dimensions best-fit your fermentation vessels - everything after that is secondary (since it will usually be used at 'warmer than fridge' temperatures and even when it is used it will not need to do much work).

Yeah got out the tape measure and i'll reckon it will fit my coopers style 25l fermenters. Time to move on to temp control and start lagering too!

Surely you can find a fridge on ebay to use as a fermentation fridge for 50$?

It doesn't need to be new because you'll be running it much warmer than it was designed to be

the running cost is also important....

an inefficient second hand fridge could cost you more in electricity per year than the fridge cost you in the first place.

the fridge you are looking at is only 1.5 stars.
in a few years the additional cost of a more efficient fridge will out weigh whatever extra $$$ you play for it .. .and you will continue to save more every year
buy a 5 star fridge

Ive been eyeing one of these off with a view to partition it with silver lined building insulation panels (the ones that go under render) and silicon, in the hope could use the top section as a lagering section for 2 cubes (lots of other ones have a cooling panel in the back only in the top half) and the bottom for fermenting (using some sort of closable hole to regulate the amount of cold air dropping into second chamber.

By the look of it from the measurements I've previously taken on other fridges I'm thinking this one would be internally too small,

assuming you want to try ferment 4 cubes at a time :D

Where are ya properbeer? I have a fridge that I was using as a fermenting fridge (also runs fine when run as a normal fridge is) that I would part with (you pick up from central coast). Stux says $50 and that is a fair price. It is an old fridge with some light rust on the outside and some brackets for shelves on the inside are missing - otherwise it's fine. I can fit a 25L fermenter in easily. The inside is about 115 x 48 x 48 (cm).

The only reason I don't need it is that I replaced it with a newer fridge. If you don't want it I will offer it to all on AHB with its own thread.

BTW - I also bought another fridge for inside the house from appliancesonline just last week and everything went smoothly.

This is the one I bought on eBay, it's a perfect size for my fermenter and can condition in there too if I want.

Westinghouse 252L fridge

I have some pics of my system in the Arduino dev thread (for my homebrew homebrew controller)

fridge-small.jpg

Note that in this image I was calibrating the system with water and the bottles were also just for show.

Yeah found a 390l westinghouse up ere in newie on trading post gonna check her out tomoz!

Yeah got out the tape measure and i'll reckon it will fit my coopers style 25l fermenters.
Time to move on to temp control and start lagering too!
Did you take into account of what I think is a hump at the back where the
bottom drawers are in front of? This makes the space where the drawers
are dead space and you'd have to build a support ramp as in Edak's post.

Think nearly all freezerles fridges have such a hump there - no biggie, just
need to allow for it.

the running cost is also important....

an inefficient second hand fridge could cost you more in electricity per year than the fridge cost you in the first place.

Not necessarily if it's a ferment fridge. A decrntly insulated fridge running at 18C is going to be far cheaper than a modern fridge running at 4C

the fridge you are looking at is only 1.5 stars.
in a few years the additional cost of a more efficient fridge will out weigh whatever extra $$$ you play for it .. .and you will continue to save more every year
buy a 5 star fridge

I got two 200L freezers of evilbay and they work perfectly. Can lager in one and put down my ales in the other. Or can even use one as primary and other as secondary. Oh and I have a small upright for cc.

I got two old fridges off ebay, one was $20 and the other was $1. Hooked them up to some STC-1000's and using the blue jerry can fermenters I can now ferment 3 double batches at a time in my 2 bedroom unit :beerbang:

The unit is so small that this photo was taken from the only angle possible.

Fermenting_fridge_001.JPG

Peaky that is so wrong and so so right in so many ways

I got two old fridges off ebay, one was $20 and the other was $1. Hooked them up to some STC-1000's and using the blue jerry can fermenters I can now ferment 3 double batches at a time in my 2 bedroom unit :beerbang:

The unit is so small that this photo was taken from the only angle possible.

What brand are those cubes and where did you get them from? How many litres do they hold?

What brand are those cubes and where did you get them from? How many litres do they hold?

They're not marked so I'm not sure what brand, they hold 27 litres to the brim and I bought them from Crown Concepts here in Melbourne for about $8 each brand new :super:

Back