Fermenter filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsupraboy

Reaction score
How do people clean there fermenter filter. Meaning the filter inbetween the fermenter and keg.

I normally house the cartridge out. Then put the filter in the base then put the hose in the middle until clean water. Then soak in hour water a few times.

Tho it still doesn't seem like enough.

Hot water in through the outlet until clean looking. Then overnight soak in sodium perc. Rinse filter then starsan then store in the freezer until next use

I am on my second KK filter. The one with the hard plastic frame. Last beer I filtered was a hop heavy APA. The gunk got in behind the frame between it and the actual the filter. No amount of soaking will get the gunk out. At $20 and about 40 uses, I see it as a consumable. Ive had the original filters and they collapsed and twisted when tightening the housing right up to ensure a seal, so these framed ones are better in that regard, just harder to clean.
Even though I use a fining and crash chill, the polish a filter gives is worth the 50c per brew.

Oh, and I soak in napisan or 100% sod perc, whichever I have, but use the napisan first as thats really all it needs. Then I let it dry and store in a cupboard. I dont 're-clean' prior to use.

Latest posts

Back