Fermenter Confessional

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynicide

Reaction score
I have a confession to make.

The last time I brewed I forgot to clean out my secondary fermenter. I'm not too worried about it as I can see three others from where I'm sitting, inherited from friends who gave up on the hobby.

So when I got back to it the word pungent doesn't sufficiently describe the smell. So I hosed it out and soft clothed away all the gunk with some bleach. However some of the smell still remained.

Conventional wisdom would tell me to just throw it out and get another one but I didn't feel like giving up on it so I filled it to the brim with an Iodophor solution. I was planning on leaving it for a day or so before rinsing it out.

Does anyone think this will work or am I wasting my time?

On the up side if this doesn't work and you live in the Melbourne area and you'd like 30 litres of Iodophor solution, I'm your man. :)

No frills Napisan should do the trick

Normell

Or soak it in bleach. If it's really bad, then some time soaking in a cleaning solution is a good idea as well as soaking in sanitising solution like you're doing now.

I leave my fermenters and cubes for too long between cleans all the time, napisan is usually sufficient to clean it up. If that doesn't work I use pink stain.

As long as it's not scratched, it'll clean... eventually.

Soak it in Pink Stain for two days. Hot water when you mix in the PSR.
I'd run it through twice (ie. 2 x 2 days) and it'll come up great.

Doc

So I've never used pink stain before. Where does one buy it? The supermarket?

Buy it at your local brew shop, its great stuff.

For badly stained things I generally throw in an unscented bleach solution... Let it sit for a day or two... Followed by PSR and a good rinse... Comes up better than new!

Cheers,
Andrew

Latest posts

Back