Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhino171

Reaction score
I put down my first brew on Wednesday night. I have started my home brew experience with a 17 litre fresh wort (pale ale style) topped up with water to the 23 litre mark in a 30 litre fermenter. I pitched a US-56 yeast at about 24 deg and have had it controlled at 20-21 degrees.

For the first 3 days it had a nice off-white foamy head and then has started to develop a much darker chocolate colour head with a cracked like appearance.

Does this sound normal? Does this fall away? What do I look for next? Being my first I'm not sure how things should look. I have searched the forum for pics to no avail.

OG of kit - 1060
OG after top-up - 1048
Last night @ 1016

Thanks guys
Rhino

Sounds about right, as it continues thru the fermentation all sorts of crusty crap from the brew ends up in the foam on top that you're seeing.
Another couple of days and you'll be ready to bottle/keg...get excited ! There's going to be beer in the house !

Sounds about right, as it continues thru the fermentation all sorts of crusty crap from the brew ends up in the foam on top that you're seeing.
Another couple of days and you'll be ready to bottle/keg...get excited ! There's going to be beer in the house !

Cheers mika, that puts my mind at ease. BTW - it will be kegged.

Nothing better than beer on tap at home :chug:

Back