Fermentation Vessels.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly79

Reaction score
Gidday all. Me again with another question. Just getting my fermentation fridge under way and realised 2 standard plastic fermenters aren't gunna fit inside.

Is there any reason why I can't use SS Pot with glad wrap to use as a second fermenter to fit in above the plastic fermenter so I can do 2 brews at the same time ?

Also any suggestions for a good vessel that is shorter/wider would be appreciated. Cheers again ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412410911.315780.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Could always get a 15lt ferm as well and use it for more experimental brews?

From the look of your fridge you could sit one 30L on the floor and maybe squeeze another full size above that. You can always take the shelves out if they're in the way, and glad wrap both drums to save space

No reason at all other than it not having a tap if that is an issue

Cheers luggy. Even with the plastic veggie coolers out, the fridge tapers off at the bottom so it's not deep enough. Thanks for your help again. Might find a good size SS pot to fit up top and fit my own tap and washer type set up. Cheers

The plastic jerry can type water containers may fit side by side. I will be looking into the same as i have just got myself a smallish ferment fridge. And i also happen to be the Golden Boy with the wife atm as i bought a nice, big, shiny, stainless fridge for the kitchen. Little does She know. :ph34r:

How big did you want the second batch to be?

I wanted to make 2x 20 ltr brews

It's hard to find the right size,shape with an open top for cleaning,filling?

I'm a chiller and had infection issues with the jerrys.
Soaked with Sod Perc, sanitised with Starsan, tried hot water as well.
Its impossible to clean the handle properly, and because of the small size theres always gunk in there.
Ignore this if you're a no-chiller...
If you're serious, save yourself the pain of infection, and spend the cash on an extra fridge or better yet a coolroom...

You may be able to fit two bucket style fermenters on top of each other, measure one up at a LHBS and see if they fit.

I use my original Coopers Kit fermentor which I bought a little over 10 years ago along with one of the new style fermentors like you have in the picture. The original coopers fermentor was a bit shorter and chubbier. I don't think you can find them around anymore though.

I sit the top fermentor directly on top of the bottom fermentor, rather than using a shelf. I use a water bottle cap over the hole in the lids rather than an airlock. Never had an issue with over 30 brews now and it stops you from stressing about why your airlock might not be bubbling.

Thanks everyone. I like the look of this one[attachment=75313:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412472426.405798.jpg

Might have a measure and go to bunnies

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412472426.405798.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412472426.405798.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 35
They are 440mm high and 290mm wide, no need to use the lid - clingwrap does the job.

I use two stainless steel 56l pots to ferment my beer in. I use glad wrap and octopus straps to cover them.

They work a treat, though the downside is they get damn heavy when there's 40+ litres of wort in them.

Cheers wort. Did ya fit your own valves to the bottom ?

Nope, I use an auto-siphon. Because the pot diameter is so large (40cm) the trub settles very thinly - that in conjunction with the sediment-reducer means I actually draw cleaner beer out with greater ease than I did when using the taps on my old plastic fermentors. I just clamp the siphon on, draw and bottle. I bought my siphon for something like $15 from National Homebrew.

Back