Fermentation Stalled At 1022

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Munton's Kits have a tendency to finish high.
From my experience I reckon that no matter what you do 1.022 is as low as she's gonna go. I'd bottle and carefully observe carbonation progress.

Off topic from OP, but just on Glad wrap as a lid / airlock - there is one big downside. 2 and 4 year old boys find it very easy to poke Matchbox cars into your brew!

Not happy when that happened.

Fear_n_loath

The Munton's Kits have a tendency to finish high.
From my experience I reckon that no matter what you do 1.022 is as low as she's gonna go. I'd bottle and carefully observe carbonation progress.

Yeh I agree. I just checked my log and I have done two Brewcraft Imp English bitter kits and they finished at 1023, Kit yeast and 1018 with Wyeast 1099. Different kit and also different yeast to you. This is a fair while ago but my notes indicate waiting for the gravity to drop and it just did not.

Fear_n_loath

For those that argue that homebrewers can not emulate commercial brewers in their practices...what a load of crap! Brewing is brewing however you look at it. It's just the scale that differs.

One of the most important things to ensure is that you protect your brew from any external infection (unless you want to make a Lambic of course). A sealed container with a liquid-filled airlock is the best way to do this. It allows gases to escape while stoping wild yeast, bacteria, insects, dust, you name it from entering the brewing vessel.

Gladwrap, Clingwrap or whatever you want to call the product stretched across your open fermenter with a pin hole in it DOES NOT provide this kind of protection.

Despite what some supposed "experts" say, there are NO disadvantages to using a fermenting vessel with an air-lock.

IMO The people that disparage the use of an airlock in favour of plastic film and a pin-hole are simply too tight-a#sed to pay the few dollars as a one-off to purchase a piece of equipment that is far more effective.

:blink: :icon_vomit:

Wow. What a ludicrous rant.

It's only a ludicrous rant if you have no common sense.

Actually, what sort of brewiing background would you happen to have, being a font of all knowledge on brewing?

Stuff all by the sound of it.

For those that argue that homebrewers can not emulate commercial brewers in their practices...what a load of crap! Brewing is brewing however you look at it. It's just the scale that differs.

One of the most important things to ensure is that you protect your brew from any external infection (unless you want to make a Lambic of course). A sealed container with a liquid-filled airlock is the best way to do this. It allows gases to escape while stoping wild yeast, bacteria, insects, dust, you name it from entering the brewing vessel.

Gladwrap, Clingwrap or whatever you want to call the product stretched across your open fermenter with a pin hole in it DOES NOT provide this kind of protection.

Despite what some supposed "experts" say, there are NO disadvantages to using a fermenting vessel with an air-lock.

IMO The people that disparage the use of an airlock in favour of plastic film and a pin-hole are simply too tight-a#sed to pay the few dollars as a one-off to purchase a piece of equipment that is far more effective.

Use whatever you want to use. Glad wrap works. So do lids.

I'm not sure that anyone who doesn't agree with you should be automatically dismissed as tightarse considering the lid usually comes with the fermenter.

If you can recreate the exact conditions of a commercial brewery without a massive financial outlay then you're doing very well.

BTW - as far as I know most people don't use a pinhole - I certainly don't when I use plastic wrap as it's entirely unnecessary and seems to defeat the purpose.

My problem is not that I have anything against airlocks.
However, my fermenters, if fitted with airlocks, don't fit into my fermenting fridge.
They will fit if I use a blowoff tube instead of the airlock.

I vacillate between the blowoff tube and clingwrap. I like to see what's happening, but can't do it for all brews. The last wheat I did with clingwrap made a horrible mess to clean up.

i use both methods and have no real hard and fast preference for either but,airlock has no diasadvantages? just of the top of my head i can think of a couple.taking samples without removing the airlock or drawing contaminated water back in the beer. ditto for moving fv around from one place to another.actual observation of the brews progression is much easier with glad wrap. glad wrap does not dry out if left unchecked for a while.quiter in operation.now in order of not being biased whats the advantage of an airlock,can only think of one actually,that wonderfull bloop bloop sound letting you know your brew may be alive. come to think of it i think you have helped convince me to get rid of the rest of my lids! :beer:

It's only a ludicrous rant if you have no common sense.

Actually, what sort of brewiing background would you happen to have, being a font of all knowledge on brewing?

Stuff all by the sound of it.

Here's the thing. Bum doesn't know a hell of a lot about brewing - what he does know is a hell of a lot about how everyone else brews wrong. He's an expert at negativity and damn terrible about being nice or constructive.

I suspect he's actually a politician, or a policeman.

Wow. What an irrelevant attack motivated purely out of butt-hurt.

So it is true then. The internet is truly a gold mine of information! And just like a Gold Mine it's ratio is 99% crap and 1% useful information.

Anyone who lives their life on a forum (4325 posts in 18 months) obviously doesn't have time to produce a decent draught, nor can they possibly have a life! :rolleyes:

...Empty vessels and all that!

A decent draught?

Sorry, mate. I only bottle.

How about everyone deflate. just wanted to know if i could bottle my beer you raving lunatics :icon_cheers:

So it is true then. The internet is truly a gold mine of information! And just like a Gold Mine it's ratio is 99% crap and 1% useful information.

Anyone who lives their life on a forum (4325 posts in 18 months) obviously doesn't have time to produce a decent draught, nor can they possibly have a life! :rolleyes:

...Empty vessels and all that!

I hate to stick up for bum (don't misread that), but if there wasn't people like him spending their free time on these forums helping others, then there wouldn't be a forums for you to come on and insult him and everyone else who has been enlightened in the ways of the gladwrap.

And if you think you can emulate breweries you should read brewing science and practice, things like hammer milling/milling under water and using high pressure filters, removing oxygen from your grains and liquor, low pressure/high pressure boiling, centrifuging trub and fermenting under massive pressure so you can increase the temperature/metabolism of the yeast without creating esters/fusels and free up your fermenter space faster really aren't feasible at home. And there is some you don't want to copy, like high gravity fermenting for dilution later.

anyway this was another stupid rant over what started as a joke about an airlock

If rousing the yeast doesn't work (either by swirling as mentioned above or by stirring with a very well cleaned and sanitised spoon) you might want to think about racking to a second vessel - this can often stir a stubborn brew into action. If you don't have a second fermenter (or don't wish to rack) and the yeast can't be roused into action by following the above method I'd start thinking about the yeast's health prior to pitching. Your pitch and ferment temps look decent to me so perhaps the yeast itself might be the issue.

Also worth considering is the reliability of your thermometer. How certain of its accuracy can you be?

Here's the thing. Bum doesn't know a hell of a lot about brewing - what he does know is a hell of a lot about how everyone else brews wrong. He's an expert at negativity and damn terrible about being nice or constructive.

I suspect he's actually a politician, or a policeman.

shame.. I thought the above was constructive, ive found racking to a secondary a good way to get a few extra points from a stubborn brew... maybe 'I' should read the post again...
<_<

shame.. I thought the above was constructive, ive found racking to a secondary a good way to get a few extra points from a stubborn brew... maybe 'I' should read the post again...
<_<

Bummer.

Latest posts

Back