Fermentation Stalled At 1022

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcurrall

Reaction score
Put down a brewcraft jsaa kit 9 days ago, kit: muntons blonde can, balck rock amber malt can, cluster finishing hops, 500g powdered corn syrup and us05 yeast pitched at 22c. sg1054. fermented at 20c (heat lamp in fridge so temp is constant) has been at 1022 for the last three days, checked twice daily. tested hydrometer in 16c water all good. any ideas? still using fermenter lid and airlock (i know......junk) and was thinking of whipping it off, giving her a quick stir then replacing with glad wrap and o ring? good or bad idea? any help appreciated
cheers

I wouldnt stir it and lid and airlock wont make it stall. I would try rouse the yeast up by spinning the fermenter left and right try not to splash and take the airlock out. I had a brew sat on 1012 for 3 days straight then just to busy to bottle came back 3 days later and it dropped to 1009 which I thought was strange as I turned the temp control off. But most my brews sit for 2 weeks now can afford to when you have 3 full fermenters all the time :p

If rousing the yeast doesn't work (either by swirling as mentioned above or by stirring with a very well cleaned and sanitised spoon) you might want to think about racking to a second vessel - this can often stir a stubborn brew into action. If you don't have a second fermenter (or don't wish to rack) and the yeast can't be roused into action by following the above method I'd start thinking about the yeast's health prior to pitching. Your pitch and ferment temps look decent to me so perhaps the yeast itself might be the issue.

Also worth considering is the reliability of your thermometer. How certain of its accuracy can you be?

+1 for giving it swirl or stir. Leave it fee days and keep an eye on it. There is a possibility of yeast health. But just give it some time and run through your options of checking all equipment and ingredients etc before panicking and doing something too drastic ( eg ramping up temps of reseeding more yeast) it'll get there RDWAHAHB

Also worth considering is the reliability of your thermometer. How certain of its accuracy can you be
[/quote]
Use a digital temperature gauge i use at work. and run my heat lamp and fridge off a dixell controller with 2 probes so she's sweet. also bought a new pack of yeast to go with the kit as the one supplied was near used by date. i'll try giving it a swirl and see what happens. thanks for the advice

RDWAHAHB
[/quote]

i worked out "and have a home brew" but whats the rest?

Relax. Don't worry....

Well, that rules out temp issues.

Buying new yeast, however, does not rule out yeast viability as being an issue. I've bought new US05 from a LHBS that was DOA before. But a swirl will tell you for sure. I do recall reading that many people consider US05 to be a yeast that likes to get lazy really early (but I've not have this issue yet myself), this could account for your problem. Just give it some time after a swirl and see what happens.

500g of corn syrup will give you a fairly high FG, 1019 by my calculation. Try what the guys have suggested above but keep in mind that you are close to FG and it could take a bit longer to reach it

Ah, good call. I read it is dexrose, not maltodexrin.

... still using fermenter lid and airlock (i know......junk) and was thinking of whipping it off, giving her a quick stir then replacing with glad wrap and o ring? good or bad idea?

Who decided a lid and airlock was a junk idea over glad wrap???

I've heard the arguements and I don't agree.

ATTENTION NEWBIES ... don't believe all that you read! If glad wrap was such a good idea, commercial breweries would be doing it!

Do they use little plastic bloopers?

500g of corn syrup will give you a fairly high FG, 1019 by my calculation. Try what the guys have suggested above but keep in mind that you are close to FG and it could take a bit longer to reach it

mate to save questions for next time just wondering how i am able to work out estimated fg? and how much longer should i wait to bottle? last 4 readings have been clear samples, clear top of wort for 3 days. sorry for the impatient and unneccisary questions

ATTENTION NEWBIES ... don't believe all that you read! If glad wrap was such a good idea, commercial breweries would be doing it!

Where is BribieG and the Yorkshire Square ?

I still use the lid and U type airlock because they fit in my brewing fridge + being cackhanded always get into a tangle with clingfilm. :icon_cheers:

Glad Wrap is a trade name like Hoover for common use products. :icon_offtopic:

I think it's a response to people who think the airlock is a scientific instrument. I use lid plus glad, glad on its own, and lid plus airlock depending on what's clean, how I feel and so on.

They're all fine in the end.

Commercial breweries and homebrewers have very different set-ups and not everything they do can be emulated by us.

I have 3 fermenters, one has a busted lid, so instead of buying a new lid / fermenter I use glad, and it is fine. I normally use the lid and airlock on the other two, unless brewing lager in the chest freezer, (at 10 Deg.C) and then the head room forces me to go for glad on all fermenters in the freezer so the lid will close, so here the glad is great! They are all in good.

Fear_n_loath

Back