Fermentation Real Slow Or Not At All

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjornwiser

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've had my Cooper's Mexican Cerveza in the primary fermenter for a few days and haven't noticed any bubble action.

The yeast I'm using is Saflager S23, sprinkled the yeast in at 18C and brought the temp down to about 16C, tried to get the temp down every now and then to no avail then remembered after a day or 2 ohhh idiot you have a spare fridge now, so put it in there yesterday and got the temp down to about 12C S23 is recommended at between 11-15C (on the packet anyway). After getting it to the right range and giving the wort a bit of jiggle to help activate the yeast, I'm still not seeing any bubble action.

I've had temp issues before and when I've finally got the right temp jiggled the wort a bit the yeast usually kicks in and does it's stuff.

Do I need to give it a good shake, or perhaps I stuffed up the amount of sugar I put in 500g dextrose and 500g Rice Malt, then steeped some lime rind and added that, everything else was as usual, sterilised everything as I usually do. OG was 1050 which was the only difference, I usually start with an OG of 1040 but read that this isn't all that unusual.

Anyone have any suggestions as I'm not sure if I should be waiting or doing something to help activate the process.

Cheers

Hi there,

I've had my Cooper's Mexican Cerveza in the primary fermenter for a few days and haven't noticed any bubble action.

The yeast I'm using is Saflager S23, sprinkled the yeast in at 18C and brought the temp down to about 16C, tried to get the temp down every now and then to no avail then remembered after a day or 2 ohhh idiot you have a spare fridge now, so put it in there yesterday and got the temp down to about 12C S23 is recommended at between 11-15C (on the packet anyway). After getting it to the right range and giving the wort a bit of jiggle to help activate the yeast, I'm still not seeing any bubble action.

I've had temp issues before and when I've finally got the right temp jiggled the wort a bit the yeast usually kicks in and does it's stuff.

Do I need to give it a good shake, or perhaps I stuffed up the amount of sugar I put in 500g dextrose and 500g Rice Malt, then steeped some lime rind and added that, everything else was as usual, sterilised everything as I usually do. OG was 1050 which was the only difference, I usually start with an OG of 1040 but read that this isn't all that unusual.

Anyone have any suggestions as I'm not sure if I should be waiting or doing something to help activate the process.

Cheers

The bubbling airlock is NOT a good indication of fermentation. Many here throw it away and use gladwrap.
Have you taken an SG reading recently? Is it dropping or staying at 1050?

EDIT: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=76

is there condensation on the inside of the lid? You may not have a good seal and the air is escaping before it gets to the airlock?

Check the gravity... this'll soon tell you if it's fermenting...

Ahhh good point about the SG and condensation. I did and still do have condesation and SG is now about 1024, so that would suggest it's humming along :)

Haven't really done any trouble shooting with brewing, usually just works, I'm used to hearing bubble bubble bubble just expected to hear it again with this batch.

I did see the usual krausen layer on top but it looks like there is less now, not sure if this matters at this point or not. I forgot to hydrate the yeast this time, perhaps it's just taking a little longer to get cranking.

Cheers for the suggestions and link, very much appreciated as i was thinking I'd buggered up a batch.

I'm used to hearing bubble bubble bubble just expected to hear it again with this batch.

It sounds like it's fine to me. If you really want to hear the bloop bloop try giving the fermentor lid another quarter turn. That sometimes does the trick

Checked the SG again after it settled and was 1032 but it is still on it's way.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back