Fermentation Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whippee

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to home brewing. Began my first batch on Saturday. I have an older coopers kits with the screw top lid. I bought a Cascade Pale Ale and brewcraft #20 malt and booster sugar to add. I got it all happening on Saturday afternoon. My pitched my yeast and the wort was about 28 degrees (i know its a bit high). My original gravity was 1070. I measured it on Monday afternoon and it was 1018, tuesday 1016, today 1016 again. The pack of the # 20 sugar says its should be ready at 1010-1014 fg.

What do you guys think about this senario. does everything seems normal so far? I did notice that the wort temp went up to about 30 or so on Sunday, hopefully no damage done.

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Andy

its normally takes about 5-7days and you should get the same reading for two days..some can go longer depends on what you brewing

Hello all,

New to home brewing. Began my first batch on Saturday. I have an older coopers kits with the screw top lid. I bought a Cascade Pale Ale and brewcraft #20 malt and booster sugar to add. I got it all happening on Saturday afternoon. My pitched my yeast and the wort was about 28 degrees (i know its a bit high). My original gravity was 1070. I measured it on Monday afternoon and it was 1018, tuesday 1016, today 1016 again. The pack of the # 20 sugar says its should be ready at 1010-1014 fg.

What do you guys think about this senario. does everything seems normal so far? I did notice that the wort temp went up to about 30 or so on Sunday, hopefully no damage done.

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Andy

you might be in a bit of trouble i suspect....hopefully not though..

The first couple of days are the most crucial as far as temperature goes. If it was at 30 degrees during the first day of fermentation, fair chance it was still up around that mark on monday and tuesday???

A few questions:

Have you got any form of temp control available??
1070 seems really high for that recipe assuming the malt / booster pack was 1kg and your volume most likely 23lt?? At those suspected temps of fermentation, i'm not surprised that it appears to be done or almost done, just think somethings a miss if you get a OG of 1070 from a can of goo and a booster pack. that gives you a 7.5% ABV bottled. something not right there....

I wouldn't necessarily believe the instructions on most "commercial, pre packed homebrewing ingredients". Bottle when you get 3 or so days of the same reading provided it's a reasonable expectation of FG. 1016 May in fact be done, but in my experience my brews when i used to K&K using goo and brew booster/blend/super dooper power packs, my brews often finished below 1010. Not saying at all that yours should be down there, as it could in fact be finished, my gut tells me it may have some time to go or your figures aren't quite right.

Some more info needed to give us the complete picture. The more the better.

Cheers

Nath

Did you tip the first bit of the hydro sample? You'll find that the stuff in the tap often has a higher SG as it's 'thicker', i.e. if you've added the tin and the malt etc, and then the water gradually, the tap is filled up first, then as water is added the wort get more and more diluted but the stuff in the tap stays put. That might explain the 1070.

Your FG is starting to plateau - I would give the fermentor a gentle swirl, give it another day or so, then if FG is consistent at 1016 still, go ahead and bottle it.

At the high (28 degree) ferment temperatures, you may get some fusel alcohols in the brew.

Did you tip the first bit of the hydro sample? You'll find that the stuff in the tap often has a higher SG as it's 'thicker', i.e. if you've added the tin and the malt etc, and then the water gradually, the tap is filled up first, then as water is added the wort get more and more diluted but the stuff in the tap stays put. That might explain the 1070.

thanks for replies all,

No didnt tip out the first sample, so you may be right that its inaccurate.

Regarding the temps: monday and tues were a bit cooler, in the mid twenties and today is in the low twenties. I have it outside in a fridge that is not plugged in. I am thinking about bringing it inside, due the the fact that nights are getting quite cool again, its only twelve tonight.

thanks again

I brew K&K and tend to leave all my ferments for 3 weeks before bottling. I have had no problems with infections during this time and there are some suggestions that the extra time gives the yeast some time to 'clean up after themselves'.

Either way, err on the side of waiting a few days more rather than rushing to bottle.

PS. Cascade kits don't get great reviews. Check out this link for reviews on the various kits out there:

http://www.hbkitreviews.com/homebrew-kit-categories.php

just thought I would update the brew. Started the brew last sat. as mentioned in previous thread. Checked fg today and its still 1016. What do you guys recommend doing? should i bottle now or wait till next weekend? the temp is sitting steady at about 22-23 degrees.

I tasted a bit from the flask and it tasted quite bitter.

thanks again for the assistance

Looks like your fermentation is stuck. I wouldn't bottle just yet, there a bit of a risk that the priming sugar will kick start the yeast again and they'll finish off the rest of the sugars, meaning you'll have bottle bombs. I recon the best thing you can do at this stage is get a pack of yeast from a home brew store and see if that can finish it off.

Chances are that this was caused by the crappy yeast that are supplied with the kits (assuming thats what you used), the higher temps probably didn't help either.

For your next brew some good advice is to get a pack of good yeast (eg SAFAL US-05), and try and keep the temp below 22 degC.

Good Luck!

Back