Fermentation Not Started

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanator

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just put in a Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter kit yesterday at about 1pm. I read in the instructions that fermentation can start approximately 1 day after pitching the yeast. Fermentation hasn't begun yet, but in the case that it doesn't begin, what would be the best yeast to add?

Will pitching another yeast give the beer a poor, yeasty taste?

This was a fairly expensive brew (about $40) so I don't wanna stuff it up. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Cheers.

Don't panic, it will start.
It's best not to fiddle.
If you must do something however 1st off would be to raise its temp. slightly.

First rule - don't panic. It should be fine. I put a brew up on Saturday using US-56 and it didn't get going for more than 24 hours. Can you see any activity? If so check for leaks around the fermenter lid & the airlock. That said, if you can see froth & bubbles you don't have a problem. If it really has failed you could pitch some SAFale.

ryanator said:
...This was a fairly expensive brew (about $40) so I don't wanna stuff it up. Any help or suggestions would be great.........

Cheers.
[post="70827"][/post]​

$40 :eek: :eek: How much are those Cascade kits? (never used one)

An ESB Fresh Wort is only $30.

Cheers,
Jase

Ryan - I wouldnt be worrying about extra yeasts at this stage. Its only a day old. Dont rely on the airlock to show that its fermenting...there may be a leek somewhere. Look for a krausen ring and gloopy sediment forming at the bottom of your fermenter. Did you use the yeast that came with the kit? What temp is the brew sitting at?

The $40 was on things like honey and chocolate. The actual kit only costed $15.

I don't think there is any leaks. I've pushed the sides of the fermenter in and the water in the airlock remains uneven for a long time.

Maybe I'm just having a bit too much of a stress.

I'm used to my brews starting within about 6 hours of pitching the yeast.

Steve said:
Did you use the yeast that came with the kit? What temp is the brew sitting at?
[post="70841"][/post]​

Yeah I used the yeast that came with the kit.

The brew is sitting at about 19C.

Spent $40 on it then used the yeast from the kit..tsk tsk

Finally got the bugger fermenting. Raised the temperature to 20C and gave the brew a gentle stir with a sanitised spoon. Hope it doesn't get infected from opening the fermenter.

I was used to keeping my brews at a fairly low temperature when using better quality yeasts. This is obviously not advised when using the Cascade yeast.

Would an 11.5g pack of Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast be an appropriate yeast for a Porter?

I don't wanna make this mistake again.

By the way, I can't get liquid yeast where I live.

Back