Fermentation Has Stopped Cold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeBaseBuzz

Reaction score
Hi All,

Put down a crown lager clone, using a Morgans Blue goo can, 1kg DME, steeped hops (can't remember which) and some brew enhancer from the LHBS..
I forgot to take the starting SG reading

Fermentation started within 12 hrs, and was "glooping" (another user used the term and I love it ;) ) away for 4 days or so before stopping dead.
Took a SG at that stage, 0.014, so far so good.

At 1 week, I took another SG reading: 1.014. WTF?

Last night, (day 11) I took another SG reading.. Still 1.014

Temperature has changed gradually from 20 degrees or so, to 24 over the last 11 days or so.. due to external temp, not fermentation methinks..

The only out of the ordinary thing with this batch, is that I forgot the brew enhancer on the first day. So after asking here, I boiled up the brew enhancer on the 2nd day, cooled it in a water bath and quickly added it to the fermenter. I didn't mix it in, just kinda swirled as I poured, as I didn't want to let in too much oxygen. I don't think it would have stopped fermentation, because it still bubbled away for 3 more days, and I think was even faster for the first day after adding the enhancer.

In any case, SG has not budged in a week. Any ideas?

Hi All,

Put down a crown lager clone, using a Morgans Blue goo can, 1kg DME, steeped hops (can't remember which) and some brew enhancer from the LHBS..
I forgot to take the starting SG reading

Fermentation started within 12 hrs, and was "glooping" (another user used the term and I love it ;) ) away for 4 days or so before stopping dead.
Took a SG at that stage, 0.014, so far so good.

At 1 week, I took another SG reading: 1.014. WTF?

Last night, (day 11) I took another SG reading.. Still 1.014

Temperature has changed gradually from 20 degrees or so, to 24 over the last 11 days or so.. due to external temp, not fermentation methinks..

The only out of the ordinary thing with this batch, is that I forgot the brew enhancer on the first day. So after asking here, I boiled up the brew enhancer on the 2nd day, cooled it in a water bath and quickly added it to the fermenter. I didn't mix it in, just kinda swirled as I poured, as I didn't want to let in too much oxygen. I don't think it would have stopped fermentation, because it still bubbled away for 3 more days, and I think was even faster for the first day after adding the enhancer.

In any case, SG has not budged in a week. Any ideas?

with 1 kg of dme and enhancer

you could possible have a finished gravity at 1014

I would bottle now

a lot of brews with that much dme finish between 1010 to 1012

with 1 kg of dme and enhancer

you could possible have a finished gravity at 1014

I would bottle now

a lot of brews with that much dme finish between 1010 to 1012

I thought that might be the case, but also though with a higher SG that it would feel "heavier". Right now it tastes like a light watery beer. (this is only my first beer btw. I've only done a ginger beer before this)

There's also what looks like around 1cm sediment on the bottom. I wouldn't expect that much from the yeast, and assumed it was the enhancer because I didn't stir it in properly.

The stuff on the bottom will be mostly yeast, given you are brewing with a kit and extras.
I get 2 or 3 cm of this, but in my case some of it is break material and hop residue also. Plus I usually start with large starter of liquid yeast.

With 1 kg of LDME, and the brew enhancer (some of which is unfermentable maltodextrine, AFAIK), I think you are on target with a FG of 1.014. It's about what BeerSmith predicts for me with a 23 litre brew with your ingredients.

The stuff on the bottom will be mostly yeast, given you are brewing with a kit and extras.
I get 2 or 3 cm of this, but in my case some of it is break material and hop residue also. Plus I usually start with large starter of liquid yeast.

With 1 kg of LDME, and the brew enhancer (some of which is unfermentable maltodextrine, AFAIK), I think you are on target with a FG of 1.014. It's about what BeerSmith predicts for me with a 23 litre brew with your ingredients.

Ok, thank you for your help. I've got to learn how to use beersmith.. hmm, wonder if I can convince the IT dude here that I installed it on my work PC for work related.. er.. work. :ph34r:

Back