Fermentation Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPH

Reaction score
OK guys,

Need some brainstorming here!

I was talking about temperature control the other night and a mate and his girlfriend offered a fridge which they're getting back which they won't need.

My mate's girlfriend proffered that the fridge would look nicer than the fermenter. I think the fermenter is quite fetching but I gather some of the fairer sex disagree! :eek:

My eyes lit up and my girlfriend's face dropped...

Now, who's got some good or not so good suggestions on how I persuade her to let me have it in the kitchen? Space is thankfully not an issue!

On the topic of temperature control, does anyone have any estimates on how much it might cost to buy and hook up a temp mate? I think I might be able to find a sparky who can do any wiring for me.

Get yourself a temp controller off ebay - STC-1000 for about $30. Wiring is very simple and there's plenty of instructions around on this site and others.

So you want to put the spare fridge in the kitchen and use it as a fermentation fridge? It's gotta be better than having the fermenter sit on the kitchen bench, or is there another place you could put the fridge (shed, garage)?

I've got one freezer running on an STC-1000 now, and a second
freezer waiting for the arrival of a second controller.
Check out my blog on how I set mine up.

We're in a two bedroom apartment. We've got a storage area but it's outside and has no electricity unfortunately!

Luckily, the kitchen's a good size. For example, you could put a small 4 person table in the middle and still have room to get around it either side width ways and a few metres room length ways. And there's a spot in a corner with a powerpoint where the fridge would be well out of the way.

I'm leaning towards bribery at the moment! :)

Say you'll use it for storing your beers in as well. That way there is more space in the food fridge. My gf wants me to get a second fridge just for this. Our fridge is minimum 20% beer/cider at all times. I only clean it out when I am worried about fitting more in. It's true, I am a *******.

We're in a two bedroom apartment. We've got a storage area but it's outside and has no electricity unfortunately!

Luckily, the kitchen's a good size. For example, you could put a small 4 person table in the middle and still have room to get around it either side width ways and a few metres room length ways. And there's a spot in a corner with a powerpoint where the fridge would be well out of the way.

I'm leaning towards bribery at the moment! :)

yeah if i cant have the fridge in the kitchen then we will just have to move to a house that has a man cave i mean garage.

Back