Fermentarion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boybrewer

Reaction score
Hi All ;
I put down a Dopplebock on friday using WLP 838 Sthn German Lager . I got the temp down to 14* C before I pitched the 2lt yeast starter . I then placed it in my dead fridge until the krausen had started and then chilled it down to 10* C and now the fermentation is stuck .

My question is what temp does this yeast like ?
Should I let the temp rise and leave it be and then chill after say 3-4 days ?

Thanks in advance

( Beerbelly )

Stuck

whats your current reading? and what was the OG? how long has it stuck on that reading?

Recipe?

More info please. Lager yeasts can take a while to finish the wort out

Kleiny

Optimum on the whitelabs site is 10-13C (50-55F)

I then placed it in my dead fridge until the krausen had started and then chilled it down to 10* C and now the fermentation is stuck .

This may be your problem and you might have encountered some extended lag time because of it. Its always recommended to start at low temps and rise throughout all of the fermentation. never the other way around. Not only are you increasing your ester production by starting hot, you make it harder on yourself (especially if you have a highly flocculant yeast) if you have temperature drops and might run into lag as you are encountering.

Just check the gravity over a few days, it should eventually get going again. Lagers can be a PITA if they dont fire.

Thanks for your input guys I will just keep it at about 12*C and see how it goes .

Cheers
Beerbelly

Back