Ferment temp - heater required?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perko8

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a brew on which has been going 6 days now, us05 yeast 1.037 OG.
Temp set at 19deg in a fridge in the garage. This morning the ambient temp out there was 3deg. Temp probe in the fv reads 16.5.

Should I be adding a heat source to kick in when it swings too low (I have a dual relay thermostat so it's not real hard) or does the few degrees not matter too much?

Not expecting temps to be much lower than this morning til it's finished fermenting

Thanks

What is the gravity reading for the brew.
After 6 days it may well be near done.

1.009 is the gravity currently,
Was shooting for 1.006
But my last brew had the same target fg, and it ended at 1.009

Different recipe though.

Stable temps make for a better ferment so for what it costs I'd say yes, you need one.
It can be something simple like a lightbulb but greenhouse/conservatory tube heaters are popular (here in UK at least).

As above, for the price of a heat belt/lightbulb/etc, it's worth the peace of mind to be able to walk away and know that temps will be stable. Set and forget really, and have complete control over your fermenting schedule.

And it's much easier to ramp up for a d-rest with some form of heating as well.

perko8 said:
Should I be adding a heat source to kick in when it swings too low (I have a dual relay thermostat so it's not real hard) or does the few degrees not matter too much?
After the 1st and 2nd phase of fermentation have done their thing - which after 6 days and 1.006, you can be confident they have - dropping a few degrees doesn't matter. Unless you are doing a lager or using a fickle English yeast, the main benefit of increasing the temp late in the game is reduction in diacetyl and speeding up your completion. The former won't be an issue with US-05 and that OG.

I set mine at 18 the other day, checked it yesterday and I had forgotten to put the probe onto the side of the fv it was just hanging in the fridge. When I put it on the fv it went up to 21.8!!! Just a note that is all.

I've been having a similar problem perko , just took a trip to Petbarn and grabbed a 15 w reptile heat cable that I'm putting in the fridge this arvo.
You do need a temp controller with a heating and cooling outlet though
Not a bad looking product , 4.5 metres long , made of silicone and it's waterproof for $35

Cheers

Back