Ferment Temp For Belgian Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damon

Reaction score
Hi There fellow brewers,

Just wondering what people's experience in fermentation temps for Belagian ales (golden and strong dark) is? I've read starting the fermentation at around 18degC, hold it for a day or 2 then let it rise naturally until complete... That way you get a good balanced profile from the yeast. Has anyone tried this or recommend a temp to hold throughout the fermentation?

I plan to use Wyeast 1762 Abbey 2 to try both a golden ale and dark strong ale. Any success stories with this yeast or would the 3787 Trappist be better?

Cheers,

Damon

Hi Damon,

I have a Belguim fermented with the Wyeast 1214 yeast that has been in the keg and ccing for about 3 weeks. If I recall I kept the temp between 17 & 19 (Promash says the the recommended temp for this yeast as 17) and let it rise a bit over the last day or so (left in the primary for 10 days then racked to keg).
I was a bit worried early on as it tasted as though it might have been fermented to warm but tonight it has really mellowed and cleared. I am quite pleased with the result so I'd say that these higher temps weren't a problem for me. Some texts on the subject encourage much higher temps for Belguims but I'm not brave enough to go there. BTW this wa a reaonably strong drop, around 6.5%

Damon said:
Hi There fellow brewers,

Just wondering what people's experience in fermentation temps for Belagian ales (golden and strong dark) is? I've read starting the fermentation at around 18degC, hold it for a day or 2 then let it rise naturally until complete... That way you get a good balanced profile from the yeast. Has anyone tried this or recommend a temp to hold throughout the fermentation?

I plan to use Wyeast 1762 Abbey 2 to try both a golden ale and dark strong ale. Any success stories with this yeast or would the 3787 Trappist be better?

Cheers,

Damon
[post="125533"][/post]​
I have used the 1762 yeast a bit and have held the temp between 18-20C. Leaves plenty of those Belgian aroma and flavour characteristics IMO. I haven't attempted to let it go higher in temp because I am scared that it may produce fusel alcohols which can lead to solvent like flavours and aromas.

If you really want to brew a Strong Golden Ale such as Duvel or even a Strong Dark Ale then my recommendation is for the Wyeast 1388! I ferment that at 20C and have always been happy with the results.

C&B
TDA

Damon,

I haven't used the 1762 before but I've made plenty of singles, dubbels and trippels with the 3787. I achieved the best results (ie balanced, complex flavours) by using a BIG starter (ie 3L and more) and pitching at 16c, then allowing it to rise to 18c overnight and holding for 2 days. I then let it rise 1-2c per day until it hit 22c and holding there, for a total primary fermentation time of 10 days. This was for the big beers. For the singles (around 1.040-50 OG) I followed the same process but finished in 7 days, before racking. This yeast likes lots of aeration and a bit of yeast nutrient doesn't hurt. If you're going for a really big beer (ie 1.080 and up), then definitely do a lighter beer beforehand and pitch onto the primary slurry. LOTS of aeration!! Also don't over hop these beers - the yeast provides the majority of the flavours and hops play a supporting role only, IMO.

Have fun!

Cheers - Snow.

Latest posts

Back