Feral Brewery's Ipa Is A Ripper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tintin

Reaction score
Had a few pints of Feral's IPA on the weekend...8% and 40 IBUs. Very nice drop. I was wondering if anybody knew which hops they use and how much. Certainly have to try to replicate this one.

Is this only available at the brewery?

It was 90IBU when i tried it. have they changed it? I loved it.

I brewed a 65IBU IPA after trying it but didnt taste anything like it. I tihnk you will need BULK hops and lots of specialty malts.

Feral had a stand at Beertopia in Melbourne last weekend, and it was probably my favourite brewery at the show. The Saison, Belgian Wit and IPA were all excellent.

Hopefully they start shipping it over to the west coast (or are they already?).

Heard there are something like 14 new micros' starting up in WA soon. Good scene over there.

Cheers,

Sam

I had it at The Flying Scotsman in Mt. Lawley. I thought it was more than 40 ibu's. Which malts do you reckon is in there? I'm only onto my 6th partial mash, so I'm still learning (do you ever stop learning?).

Need some opinion on this one. I haven't brewed an ipa before, so any advice is great.

Grains : 1.5kg Maris Otter
300g crystal 55L
500g wheat

Mash for 1hr at 68 deg C

5kg LME light

Hops : 34g cascade for 90mins
34g fuggles for 15mins
34g fuggles for 2 mins

Whitelabs Irish Ale yeast (British yeast probably better)

P.S. I've done more reading and it seems fair dinkum ipa's shouldn't have cascade, only goldings and fuggles. When you introduce cascade you get an apa.

sam said:
Feral had a stand at Beertopia in Melbourne last weekend, and it was probably my favourite brewery at the show. The Saison, Belgian Wit and IPA were all excellent.

<snip>

Sam
[post="126455"][/post]​

I also tried it at Beertopia, talk about hoppy!

They said they use 5 types of hops in it. Can't quite remember them now, too many tastings on the night. :rolleyes:

I agree, this is a great brewery. I have had their IPA, wit & stout - they are all great.

Tintin
There are 2 types of IPA, English and American. You will find that the english one is probably a little more subdued than the American version, which is usually way over the top (but still very good). Maybe send an email to the brewery and as em what hops they use, or even if it is an english or american IPA. From memory, english IPA only goes up to about 60IBU (as far as style guidelines), and I dont think the americans put a cieling on their IBU's! I dont use any wheat in my IPA's and usually keep the crystal down around the 300g mark to stop it from being (IMO) cloying. That looks like a pretty good recipe, but if it is for 23L, and your boil grav is around 1070, the cascade will only give you 16 or 17IBU. I would shoot for some Target (11%) to around 60IBU for your bittering, but that is just me. If I were to be making an IPA to about 1080, I would aim for about 80IBU, but you may wanna aim lower, it is all personal taste. I have never tried this beer, nor heard of it, but it is good to hear that there are plenty of micro's popping up, can only be a good thing.
All the best
Trent

IPA at beertopia! man, I must have missed out. they only had the saison and the wit when I was there. they were both most excellent however.

I've dashed an email off to the brewery as to what the hops are. I don't know if the brewmeister will be too forthcoming with ingredients, but one must have hope...

Not quite an IPA. but have yous tried the Barking Duck from the Matilda BAy Brewery, bery complex flavours, and a lovely spicy after taste.

lets hope he replies and you can tell all of us :)

It is a West Aussie micro, in the swan valley. or do you mean the east cost?

I spoke to the assistant brewer when I was out there recently.When discussing he Imperial IPA he mentioned Amarillo hops(&loads of them) were used for flavour and aroma...as for malt, well....I was a few sheets to the wind as it was during the session between the ceremony and reception for my bosses wedding!

I would suggest giving Brendon Varis(Brewer) a call, he is a sound fella.

Anybody know a place where I can get Amarillo? I think there were some getting around West Coast Brewers at one stage, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen them in any HBS lately.

Ross of craftbrewer fame should see you right via mail order.Check his site details at the logo on AHB front page.

Cheers
Big D

You weren't wrong about lots of hops...Brendan emailed me back with a list :

Kettle hops : Warrior, Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo, Cascade
Dry hop : Amarillo, Centennial

Time to splurge on hops at the HBS methinks...

Ash in Perth said:
lets hope he replies and you can tell all of us :)

It is a West Aussie micro, in the swan valley. or do you mean the east cost?
[post="126535"][/post]​

Yes. I meant the east coast. I really should know my east and west by now.

And that's a super line-up of hops.

Sam

Considering it is near impossible to find commercial Imperial IPA's in Australia (probably only hugely popular in america) this is the tastiest and most well balanced (huge hop profile) IIPA I've come across. The new Jamieson is quite tasty too, but when compared to the Feral's delicious 100 IBU ale it is quite shallow. Although I commend Jamieson and hope to see theirs packaged and available soon!

90 IBU's I would almost expect my eyebrows to fall in the brew at that level. Mind due frequenting the Feral on many an occasion I know they are skilled enough to pull off a brew with such a high rating.

Latest posts

Back