Feral Brewery's Ipa Is A Ripper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its a pity its not around anymore. the brewer is going to continue releasing great beers from time to time i think. right now the scottish ale is being served.

Took a little trip out to Feral this afternoon.

The pale ale has been replaced by an IPA, a slightly lesser version, not an imperial. About 5.8% alcohol, and a lovely lingering pine cone bitterness. It's a real beer to savour.

They also have an 11% barley wine. I only had a tiny sample, but it's amazingly good. Heavily hopped, not sickly sweet at all. I'd love to sink a few of these

Went there today,I had the IPA,Pilsner and the White Feral.The brewer must have changed because all these beers where shockers ! I'll be ashamed to serve them,very unimpressed.

Batz

Went there today,I had the IPA,Pilsner and the White Feral.The brewer must have changed because all these beers where shockers ! I'll be ashamed to serve them,very unimpressed.

Batz

Agree the pils is a shocker (what are they hopping this with? pride of ringwood?), but I thought the Hophog IPA was sensational.

Hophog was no better than anyones AG brew,in fact not up to most.It had an off flavour that I could not pick but was bad.
Six beers,a cheese board and potato wedges,both for one...$196.70...utter BS

Batz

Hophog was no better than anyones AG brew,in fact not up to most.It had an off flavour that I could not pick but was bad.
Six beers,a cheese board and potato wedges,both for one...$196.70...utter BS

Batz

even more reason to get into AG brewing! How did it get to $196.70? 6 beers is $54, how does a cheese board and wedges = $142?

even more reason to get into AG brewing! How did it get to $196.70? 6 beers is $54, how does a cheese board and wedges = $142?

Couple of wines for the girls and a holiday surcharge

Also went to the Elmars, Alt was quite nice

I'm really surprised Batz. I've always enjoyed trying the beers out there - and the food is actually quite reasonably priced now for Perth standards. You'll pay more in most city pubs/hotels for both beer and food.

I should note I haven't been out there for a couple months though. But the WCB crew seemed to enjoy themselves there the other weekend.

Should only be $26 for a bowl of wedges and a cheese platter for one. With a 15% surcharge on food for public holidays thats $29.90. Presuming you had pints of all the standard beers, and a wine glass of the Barley Wine thats still only $83.90.

Did you check the bill? It sounds like you were overcharged by over $100!

$196.70...utter BS

Batz

Wow that makes me feel better, I got a Myer Gift card and spent it at 1st choice and the other day drank: 3 litres of KrystallWeise, 4 Leffe Blondes and a pint of Young's London Bitter, not necessarily in that order, and having guilt attacks at spending $51 <_<

Felt great the next morning and got a nice Leffe glass out of it as well

Batz

OK just who are you really and what have you done with Batz!! :eek:
OT, I had a six pack of the White at a party on the same day (presumably brewed at AIB) and they were on the sweet side but ok.

OK just who are you really and what have you done with Batz!! :eek:
OT, I had a six pack of the White at a party on the same day (presumably brewed at AIB) and they were on the sweet side but ok.

Thanks Perry !
Who's playing Batz then? Still I do think the pilsner was one of the worst beers I've had for a while,I didn't finish it.

The REAL Batz

I'm really surprised Batz. I've always enjoyed trying the beers out there - and the food is actually quite reasonably priced now for Perth standards. You'll pay more in most city pubs/hotels for both beer and food.

I should note I haven't been out there for a couple months though. But the WCB crew seemed to enjoy themselves there the other weekend.

Should only be $26 for a bowl of wedges and a cheese platter for one. With a 15% surcharge on food for public holidays thats $29.90. Presuming you had pints of all the standard beers, and a wine glass of the Barley Wine thats still only $83.90.

Did you check the bill? It sounds like you were overcharged by over $100!
Last sunday the west coast brewers 1st round of drinks came up to $182 for 20 pints and a coffee :blink: so somehow it seems they got the bill wrong.

As for the brewer changing I don't think so, Brendan is the man at the helm or at least he was a few weeks back when a recent state comp winning west coast brewer spent the day out there brewing his award winning mild with him.

After the negative sentiment I had to take a trip out there again for myself. Went there for lunch today. Two main meals, two desserts, taster tray, two regular beers and two soft drinks were under $120, which is pretty reasonable for eating out in Perth. Food was very nice, better than most pub/hotel meals I've tried recently.

As for the beers, the biggest complaint I would have was the serving temperature (icy). A good example was the first beer on the tray, the Pilsener. Drinking it straight away all you could taste was bitterness. It's worth remembering this is a 35+ IBU beer, so icy cold most the flavours are hidden. Letting it get a little bit of temperature behind it bought out subtle malt flavours which helped to balance, along with a hint of grassy, spicy hops.

Funny thing is though - I heard the people at the table next to us say the opposite, one of them said they wished they'd drunk the taster tray quicker, as the Rust was too warm for them.

White, Farmhouse and Rust were all drinking well, exactly as I remember them. I love the subtle spice in Farmhouse, even at such a low ABV (4%) for a Belgian, it still has so much character. Rust had a lovely sweet malt and plum flavour, but was still dry in the finish. White is probably my least favourite of their beers, though it seems to sell very well there.

Hop Hog (IPA) was extremely drinkable. I ordered a glass of it straight after the taster tray. Great hop aroma, flavour and enough bitterness there without being over the top like some IPAs can be. Ashers Mild was another that I ordered a second of. Although served far too cold, the carbonation seemed lower than the other beers, and just about right for style. The beer itself was very drinkable, great caramalt flavours and some nice rum+raison notes too. Very deceptive, hard to pick that its under 4%. I do remember Ashers beer having slightly more body though, and if I remember correctly they didn't have all the caramel malts required for the recipe at the time.

Overall I really enjoyed the beers, I perceived no loss/drop in quality there. Only real complaint as I said was the serving temperature. I'm willing to bet though if they started serving the beers at 8-12 degrees on a 35+ day like today out in the valley, people would complain.

Funnily enough i was there on the same day as Bats it seems (27th) for some birthday drinks. i'd heard it was a good day out there and the beers were pretty good, so we gave it a go.

i liked all the beers .... except the pilsner, which was pretty boring, even a swill drinker said it wasn't great, but geez, it was finishable..!!!??
I had a pint of each on the menu, the farmhouse and the IPA were definitely the picks, with some decent late hops noticeable in the IPA. the Wit was good too and the mild.
having been to many a micro i think the standard was pretty good indeed.

Batz, i think when you say its nothing a homebrewer couldn't brew, is kind of missing the point. of course we can!! we have access to the same ingredients etc, so why not.
For me its about getting out with friends and enjoying it for what it is..... good beer that isnt CUB or LN etc. good location, atmosphere, table service, food prepared...

you pay $9 for pretty much a pint of ANYTHING in perth it seems (i'm only new over here, but it seems that way), so i dont think that Feral is over charging or anything. Colonial is the same too from memory.

anyways, i had a good day out there!! the somewhat spooky misting/cooling spray from the roofing was a good touch in the heat..!

i'll go back, and would definitely pay the cash for a pint of the Hop Hog before a pint of LCPA..

KoNG

can someone link me to, or point me in the direction of a good hop hog AG clone ?? Thinking maybe beefing the alc up to about 6.5% what would be the best way to balance that out? hop bitterness?

Back