Fender Telecaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colonel

Reaction score
G'day All.

Thought I'd use the wealth of knowledge in the brewing community to see if any one is a guitar expert.

My son thinks he may have been ripped off in buying a "genuine" Fender telecaster on ebay.

He doesn't really want to pull off the neck to check for dates/numbers, and wonders if there are any other tell tale features to look for?

It's supposed to be an American Vintage 52 reissue made about 7 years ago.

I'll see if I can find out some more info.

Cheers

Based on the evidence I've imagined the guitar is completely legit.

Based on the evidence I've imagined the guitar is completely legit.

Well this is embarrassing, the evidence I imagined points to the guitar being a fake!

Back on topic, I can't help, but good luck!

Cheers SJ

Take a Look at the neck plate, is it blank?

*edit.'take some photos of the headstock, neck plate the front and back of the body and I should be able to tell. Also, I've heard that the Fender Decal on the headstock is slightly raised so when you run a finger over it you will feel a slight bump over the decal, whereas this isn't the case with a legit Fender.

As he's already guessed he's gotta unbolt the neck. the date stamps should be on the neck & the body.
Had to do the same with my Mustang to find the age.

Still, what makes your son think he's been ripped off?
That's ebay for you anyway...

Still, what makes your son think he's been ripped off?
Yeah, this.

There's plenty of info on Fender's page for this guitar to go by to see if the guitar is legit. Not the exact age of course but I don't think that really matters at all for a mass-produced, modern re-issue.

Besides, there's not an enormous amount of difference between various models of Tele. I think this one shipped with pretty shitty action, if that helps.

After reading a fair bit online, I'm not convinced it's a fake just yet.

It was mainly the decal that looks dodgy, (and, the so called "certificate of authenticity" looks like it was filled in by a 6 year old).

Apparently there's so much variation between models, that it probably needs to be pulled apart to be sure, and my young bloke doesn't want to do that.

Anyway, It seems to be a good guitar, and sounds great, so I'll try to allay his fears, and do some further research.

Thanks for the replies, and keep em coming.

Yeah, this.

There's plenty of info on Fender's page for this guitar to go by to see if the guitar is legit. Not the exact age of course but I don't think that really matters at all for a mass-produced, modern re-issue.

Besides, there's not an enormous amount of difference between various models of Tele. I think this one shipped with pretty shitty action, if that helps.

'Genuine' is the purview of collectors anyway.
Just run an old Ibanez through a fuzz box and rock out. Who can tell the difference?

Just run an old Ibanez through a fuzz box and rock out. Who can tell the difference?
+1. :super:
:icon_offtopic: Don't you hate it when you go into a guitar shop to check out a guitar in question, the salesman pulls it down, plugs it in, and shows off? (and they're always better than I am). Also, they make a beginners $200 guitar sound cool.

Back on topic, got a link to the actual tele in question? And in the end it is just a reissue. (not knocking it, just stating it's probably only worth a fraction of the original), but that's for collectors to worry about.

Hang on, is this a thread about a guitar, with no pics, for shame....

I like the way you think Dave70, really shoud bust out the axe again. Haven't touched it 12 months I reckon, for shame....

Off topic somewhat, but the following link does gave 3 x telecasters and just happens to feature my all time favourite band first saw then in 1976

Status Quo!!!! New album is just out, do yourself a favour etc etc etc

but, 3 x teles ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Totaaaaaaally off topic and of not much relevance other than a self serving gloat....:D

...about 5 years ago I bought a Fender Newporter on an Ebay auction that had a 'buy it now' option about 6 minutes after it was listed for $60, apparently the guy's wife was meant to list it for $600 but stuufed it up and they honoured the sale. It turned out to be a genuine '67 made in the US model...it worth a few coins but I'll probably will it to the kids

In fact if you get an old enough Ibanez (mid 70s) you are getting a guitar with a lot more tone and warmth then any modern reissue by Gibson or Fender (obviously not all of them, but most of their knock-off designs were fan-bloody-tastic, I played an Ibanez SG from the 70's that felt better than most authentic SGs I've played and had sustain out the wazoo).

I am assuming you just want to know if it is a genuine fender? Well if the decal is raised from the headstock finish and the neck plate is blank, it its 95% a fake. As I said if you can post some photos myself or (judging by what others have posted) someone will be able to tell you es or no.

Saw a top bargain on ebay a while back. A nice yellow strat copy. going for only $1!
It was the $400 postage to Australia that got me scratching my head.
edit: out of curiosity I went googling, having a look at my 68 Mustang & what people ask for theirs. Found they've got a collectibility rating of "D-". Haha... oh well at least I didn't overpay for it.

Well if the decal is raised from the headstock finish and the neck plate is blank, it its 95% a fake.
I disagree with this completely. A re-issue will often have original style stickers and if raised decals were what was on the original then that's what will (most likely) be on the re-issue. I understand that is Fender's practice anyway.

I disagree with this completely. A re-issue will often have original style stickers and if raised decals were what was on the original then that's what will (most likely) be on the re-issue. I understand that is Fender's practice anyway.

Fender decals should not be raised from the finish at all originals, or remakes, that is my understanding. I was alluding to it not being an actual fender if the decal was raised.

I was alluding to it not being an actual fender if the decal was raised.
I know. That is what I am disagreeing with.

US re-issues pretty much all have the decal above the finish (when it is period appropriate) while the Japanese ones do not. Some guitars even have expired patent info on them for authenticity, ffs.

Yeah, every second "expert" agrees with you bum.
We're still none the wiser, except that we've pulled it apart, and base of the neck seems to have a genuine stamp and date on it.

I agree it's no drama if it plays Ok, i just don't like it if someone has sold something to a teenager for 4 times what it's worth.

Life's full of experiences though eh?

Latest posts

Back