Feedback On Next Batch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Only up to my second batch but I have learnt so much since my first batch and now have too many ideas running through my brain that I just want to see what your feedback is on my second batch and any improvements I could make.

I am making a recipe that is to mimic a Becks Pilsner with the following ingrediants:

Morgains Canadian Light
500g Dextrose
250g corn syrup powder
500g light maltFinishing Hops / Cascade 12g

From the instructions I have I was just going to mix the wort can and dex etc with warm water and then make a hop tea with the cascade and add to the wort then fill to 23ltrs. I have a ferment fridge so will ferment at 20c as the yeast provided with the can is an ale yeast.

My quiestions:

1) Should I add anything to the mix?
2) I have read about boiling / simmering the the malt and dex and then adding the hopps to that while simmering before adding it to the fermentor... will this give a better result? how should this be done?
3) The hops - Is this enough? Should I add them as I described or as per question 2 and should I add any further towards the end of the ferment?
4) Is it best to let the brew sit for an extra week in the fermenter after fermentation has finished or should I transfer to a secondary fermenter or bottle after 2 days?

I held off on my second brew until I got my fridge as my first only got down to 28c - 30c and doesnt taste so good so far (2 months down the track, tried it after 1 month in the bottle and will try again this wekend).

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Camo

Just a couple of points
Becks is a lager so an ale version will be a bit fuller.
Corn Syrup (called Maltodextrin in civilised countries); be careful of it when you are trying for very light bodied beers it can give some less than ideal flavours and mouth feel to
Cascade is totally inappropriate, its great hop but not for a Becks, try Hallertau or Saaz or better yet a bit of both, but dont overdo the hops, I think I would Dry hop the Hallertau and use Saaz as a taste addition.
MHB

yeah that's exactly what i was going to say.

Cascade is a great hop but it's usually used in things like hoppy ales as opposed to crisp, clean lagers.

as MHB says, hallertau or saaz will be better. Hersbrucker may also work. Any of the "noble" hops would be a better choice.

do a search on "noble hop varieties" either on AHB or good old Google.

Congrats on your first couple of brews matey!

Big Nath

Cheers for the feedback guys.... This is a recipe that I picked up from my LHBS.... Seems strange that they could be so far off the mark when they list it as their "Becks Pilsner Clone".....

I have to stop in at the home brew store this week before I do the brew to pick up my temp controller so am thinking that I might get some different Hops (as suggested below) and stick with the current ingrediants... I don't care if it doesnt clone a Becks if its still a nice beer.

So what are the thoughts on bringing the malt dextrose, corn syrup and malt to a simmer and then adding the hops before adding to the can of wart in the fermenter? What sort of impact does this give?

Latest posts

Back