Feedback On A Out-of-style-beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
So just popped into the lhbs today to have a look around while buying my grains n whatnot for the next brew

But after having a bit of a read and look i came up with this (keeping in mind i have left over wheat and wb-06 laying around)...

I call it a S**ts and giggles dark wheat

1.5kg LME
1kg munich
1kg vienna
0.5kg wheat malt
0.2kg crystal
18g newport @ 60min
10g hallertauer @ 10min
WB-06

How does she look?
once again, not in any style, just using up bits and peices, and deicded for a german style dark wheat with oktoberfest coming up soon

Cheers, Sponge

You don't have enough wheat malt to make a huge difference- I'd up it to at least 1kg for it to be worth it. However, it does look like an interesting recipe, post what it turns out like!

Hmmm.... ok then

What if i was to do more like 1.5kg wheat malt, and cut back the vienna and munich to 500g each (im just trying to do a recipe in lots of 500g/1kg because thats all that comes from the hbs, and just saves me having it lye around)?

Cheers, Sponge

Change the crystal for a handful of chocolate malt or half a handful of patent malt. Will give you colour without the crystal sweetness, which imho won't go with WB-06.

Hmm, I would respectfully disagree there, if I were to make it I would like a bit of sweetness in the beer- however it's all to personal preference :)

Also I'd be weary of adding too much roast. I like the look of the recipe. I think as is it will be great (but as P&C says won't be a wheat beer). And yes, if you change the 1.5kg of LME to wheat extract it will work nicely. Can you get crystal wheat? That would be a great addition in place of the crystal barley. I've made a few wheat beers with darker wheat malts and they really come out better for it.

I'd respectully agree and disagree with that. Your right on the sweetness, peasandcorn, but I think it is better to come from lower IBUs and the malt, rather than a crystal sweetness, which I agree won't match with the wb06 for mine.

I'd definitely try and get up to 50% wheat, or at least 40. I know that you aren't looking for in style but the reason for the percentage I believe, (I read somewhere), is that this is what is needed to get some of the reactions to produce the flavours and aromas associated with a weizen.
But then again, why not ignore all that and try something different! :)

I'd still stick more with choc than crystal through.

Latest posts

Back