Favourite Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WLP400 Belgian Wit and WLP023 Burtons Ale, so far....

Add White Labs 380 Hefewiezen IV, had my first bottle of hefe last night. Wonderful banana flavour.

I still have some Yeastlab purchased at the old Hunter Street shop in Newcastle. They are Pilsner (allegedly W34\70) and American Ale (maybe SierraNevada, similar to 1056), both purchased in 1998. Both do a great job, as does Bavarian Wheat blend W3056; my first liquid yeast.

And I can say good things for WhiteLabs Wit II, just don't ferment too high, or you'll be waiting about 3 years (at last reckoning) for the phenolics to fade enough...and it makes a nice honey ale at 7% (oops :blink: )

Also, a yeast which came from a bottle of Matilda Bay Real Ale (great beer, send more. I only had 1 stubbie), makes a great Winter Warmer at O.G. 1.072

This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?

If there any good liquid yeasts that can be used in higher temperatures for lagers at all?

I don't have the equipment to keep the temperature below 20C (18C at very lowest) until winter anyway...

Thanx

Wyeast 2112 California Lager Yeast produces lager characteristics at 18 and below. WOrks up to 20c Used it a few times and is OK

Cheers roach, might have to get that one a go sometime soon.

Thanx

JasonY said:
Wyeast 1272 Amercan Ale II - great yeast for any APA

Agree with Justin 1968 is a great yeast, huge malty finish but brilliant in any english ale. Clearest finishing yeast I have ever seen, kegged an ESB yesterday and the yeast cake was coming out in chunks it was that packed. Have an APA fermenting at the moment with 1968 so that should be interesting.
How did the APA turn out?

I'm trying to make a LCPA clone and the only yeasts I have are 1084, 1338, 3944 and 1968

Saisson yeast! Following on pitching a sachet of this into half of my IPA I am now keen to brew a proper Saisson next year, well one or three :)

Jovial Monk

saison yeast is great stuff! i just bottled a saison that never got below 26 or so and it still came out beautiful - best yeast for summer there is! yummy fruity/earthy/peppery flavour too.

WY1272 (American Ale II)
WY3068 (Weihenstephan Wheat)

You can use 1272 for so many different american styled beers and get good results. I've used it for (US) porters, APAs, IPAs etc etc and its always consistant.

And 3068 can turn a standard kit wheat beer into something pretty damn tasty. One of my favourite no-fuss brews was a wheat beer kit, a kilo of liquid wheat malt extract, and 500g of dried wheat malt extract (muntons). Simple kit brew and with the 3068 makes a good weizen!

When I get back I really want to try some brews with the 3278 lambic blend. I've got some hop flowers "aging" at home for when I get back ;)

My faves are:

Ale:
White labs burton ale, it has a top flavour, and is a great fermentor ( needed a blow off everytime)
Wyeast kolsch ale yeast. I think i broke my record for finishing a keg using this yeast. Dry, but slightly sweet finish, definately one of my faves.
Wyeast weihenstephan weizen, this is seriously flavoursome!.

Lager:
Wyeast czech pils, lovely malt flavour.

What about yeasts you dont like??

Ale:
Tried white labs london ale, was o.k, but not great.
Wyeast irish ale, not reel keen on this either

Lager:
White labs san francisco lager, the most horrible yeast i have ever used!! green apple would have less bite!

Not saying the above yeasts are crap, i just didnt like the results i got with them.

Good day
My favourite yeast is WLP San Fran for all lagers from a Bohemian Pils to a dopplebock, best at 10-12oC but good up to 16oC for us winter garage brewers. I have never had a "green apple" problem with this yeast so your experince has me wondering/perplexed. One thing about home brewing it is always interesting and so variable.
I am about to rack to identical special bitters, one with WLP Southwold and one with WLP London Ale. Will be interesting to see the difference.
All the best, Barry.

Back