Favourite Base Pale Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agreed, and I hope to get sufficient stockpile of cases in a month or two to be more selective in my purchases and really target the flavours.

For now, where I am cutting my teeth with all grain, the prices per individual kilo versus sack buys makes it a significant economy to buy a sack at a time, particularly as I don't have a grain mill (yet) so the lot is cracked on purchase.

Where would you buy the sack of grain from? would you goto a LHBS like Grain and Grape, or go directly to a malter/wholesaler? Can anyone recommend a source in Vic?

I just put an order in at the local homebrew shop - Colin at Brew Your Own at Home in Canberra is always great to deal with. Can't help with VIC.

Agreed, and I hope to get sufficient stockpile of cases in a month or two to be more selective in my purchases and really target the flavours.

For now, where I am cutting my teeth with all grain, the prices per individual kilo versus sack buys makes it a significant economy to buy a sack at a time, particularly as I don't have a grain mill (yet) so the lot is cracked on purchase.

I just put an order in at the local homebrew shop - Colin at Brew Your Own at Home in Canberra is always great to deal with. Can't help with VIC.

Hey Newbeer
Just to step back a little. I (almost) always use JW export pils for all beers as a base malt. You can pretty much make any style of beer with it. After you've added your spec malts, hops and strain of yeast, it's hard to tell what base was used. To use Golden Promise or another 'stand-out' base malt (bad choice of words I know) you really have to make a lot of beers to that style to warrent a sack (25kg).
So what I am saying is - if you want to play around with any style, any hop, any yeast, go with JW pils as a base if you want to buy in bulk.
mckenry

Hey Newbeer
Just to step back a little. I (almost) always use JW export pils for all beers as a base malt. You can pretty much make any style of beer with it. After you've added your spec malts, hops and strain of yeast, it's hard to tell what base was used. To use Golden Promise or another 'stand-out' base malt (bad choice of words I know) you really have to make a lot of beers to that style to warrent a sack (25kg).
So what I am saying is - if you want to play around with any style, any hop, any yeast, go with JW pils as a base if you want to buy in bulk.
mckenry

Thanks for that. At the price MO goes for compared to the other grains, that's really helpful to know. I have found depending on what you add to the base, it can play a strong or background flavour so appreciate what you mean by stand out. I brewed with EK goldings cones only and the MO has at least 50% of the flavour profile in that ale - ie it tastes how the base malt smells. With an AMA brew, the amarillo knocked it into the background as a support act.

The JW pils is a good deal cheaper too and if it plays to the strengths of the specialties and additions, than that's a good option. Clearly lots to learn and starting to appreciate the depth of the +1 responses for 'depends on what I am brewing'.... .

Cheers.
Jake

God there are so many, if it was gun to the head have to decide right now time - I think I would choose the Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner.
I gives that depth of character missing from some cleaner Pilsner Malts, bit like the Floor Malted Maris, its a touch more challenging for the brewer but a lot of fun that makes some stunning beers, it certainly rewards good brewing practice.
I would usually say Ausie for Ausie, English for English... and you wouldnt believe the difference using Belgian Malt makes to a Dubble.
Really I think its like shoes we might have a favourite but we all have more than just the one pair.
MHB

Back