Fat Yak: dumbed down for the masses?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best non big four beer available on tap in our town of 12 pubs and numerous clubs. Only other one i can get is the chancer.

It's not a popular beer where i drink it either, so the taste can be different one week to the next. I put it down to the age of the keg, cause i know how hops fade in my own kegs.
One week it can just be a better than New, next week you can be doing delicous hop burps for three hours after. Country people just don't have the choice most of you seem to have, and i'm very grateful i can get it at all, so try to support the place as much as my license will stand.

I think Yak is an appropriate term to describe this beer, sure better than some but is a beer to be had only in emergency when no decent beer is available.

It's been a while since I asked for one though, Hogs on tap where I drink. (and a selection of goats) and to be honest, Yak is not in the same game as those lads.

he he, as a quick off-topic post I went to the Ekka with the family on Friday and went to a beer demo. I bought a Hop Hog before the demo as a warm-up beer ( :ph34r:) and the first beer they gave us to taste was their Kolsch. I was having a quick chat with the host after the demo and said I couldn't even taste the Kolsch. He gave me a strange look and I went on to explain my warm-up beer was the Hog. He gave me a grin and said that'll do it.

One of the pubs up here has just got the fat yak on tap. I was blown away at how big of a hit of NS it had compared to the bland stubbies. I went back for another :lol:

btw, it's the only place in town offer non mega swill on tap.

Yes it does have quite a strong aroma compared to the stubbies on tab doesnt it. I tell you what though, after i had about 5 or 6 pints of it at the footy on saturday, it gave me some serious gas hahaha.

brente1982 said:
Fat Yak definitely tastes a lot better and the same as it always has on tap. I drink it quite regularly at the Frank Grey Smith Bar in MCC members reserve at the MCG when i go to the footy.
FYI it's available at pretty much all the bars at the MCG, Mr. Fancy Pants ;)

I've always found it hit and miss, with an emphasis on the latter, and more so in recent years.

Latest posts

Back