Fast Fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Gday Guys i on the 26th of April with the following recipe i put down a stout/ dark ale toucan

1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale Kit
1.7kg Coopers Stout Kit
500grams CSR Brown Sugar
2 Coopers Yeast Pitched at 27

I tested the gravity on the 1st of may and it was at 1.013 will it go any lower?
How long is standard for a this toucan to ferment for?

Cheers Tim

Look for consistent gravity readings over 2-3 days, if steady it is ready to bottle!

You could warm it up slightly by a few degrees also to ensure its finished off fermenting too. Carb low in the bottle and you shall be right.

When you say carb low raven how would you reccomend this? I have always just used carb drops should i just use one instead of two for long necks?

Look for consistent gravity readings over 2-3 days, if steady it is ready to bottle!

You could warm it up slightly by a few degrees also to ensure its finished off fermenting too. Carb low in the bottle and you shall be right.

Yeah pretty much, i did my toucan half carbed full and half under carbed. The undercarbed are definitely better in my opinion. If using carb drops and stubbies, just chop the drop in half with a knife or something. I just use normal sugar for my stubbies so easy to measure.

10 days primary, then cold conditioned for 5-6 days i think.

righto i dont have the option to cold condition.. so i might just bottle after 10 or so days

Definately carb your stout lower, so if you have to use the carb drops I would go half the normal amount as per discussion above. Cheers!

cheers a question about priming what the best sugar to use?
Ive got the measurer nut never used it before...

Caster sugar flows better and dissolves quickly. For future normally carbed brews, if you are using PET bottles, then use these:
csr_cubes.jpeg
Carb drops are a rip off.

If it was pitched at 27 without temp control I wouldn't think any warming up will be required. Coopers yeast is pretty quick, esp at those temps. :icon_cheers:

sorry asis was pitched at 27 but has been kept at 18.5 for the past 7 days... im not using pet bottle im mainly using stubbies at coopers long necks would the cubes still work?

Cheers BribieG any other recommendations?

I use whatever is on hand, raw and white table sugar usually, sometimes DME. I usually bulk prime when bottling a large batch as its a lot easier (But of late its a few longnecks bottled, then the rest into the keg via filter).

Back