Fast Fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanme

Reaction score
I thought I was over my "newbie panic", but this is a bit concerning :p

I put down my first attempt at a Christmoose Ale with a couple of tweaks. Smells awesome.
Anyhow. My OG was 1.050 and I rehydrated and pitched the T-58 and had it set to around 21 degrees. It started fermenting the next day and I've never seen so much airlock activity. I left it til last night before doing a test, and I got an FG of 1.018. Does this means somethings gone wrong, or is it basically just the nature of the yeast (first time NOT using US-05) and fermenting at a higher temperature??

The sample tasted decent, but was a bit bitter.

What was the day you put the brew down?

Higher temps increase activity.

Sunday. Pitched in the evening. So it had been about 3 days.

Give it another few days and see what the gravity is. If it's steady over a couple of days, bottle or keg. What was your mash temp? What was the grain bill? A FG of 1.018 is highish, but within reason depending on yeast and wort fermentability.

Cheers

Grain bill? :p

I used 2kg of Light DME and 1kg of Dark.
I steep 200gm worth of specialty grains at around 64 degrees.

I'm not concerned about whether or not it's finished now, I'm just concerned about the speed it got to its current SG.

It's not unusual for some ale yeasts to race through the bulk of fermentation in as little as 2 to 3 days, and then slow down to a crawl to chew through the last few points.
I'd certainly leave it for at least a few more days.
Personally, I leave my ales in primary for at least 2 weeks before bottling. No need to rush it.

T-58 can go real quick!
Fermented a spiced ale from 1.060 down to 1.015 in 48 hours at 20C.
Nothing to worry about. :icon_cheers:

Cheers
Nige

Yes sometimes beers that you think are going to take a fortnight are done and dusted in a few days. I've currently got a Coopers Stout Toucan with a kilo of dex and a kilo of LDME. It would normally take two weeks but the current batch is cooked in about 8 days at 19 degrees. And I'm bottling tomorrow, I could have bottled a couple of days ago but raised to 21 degrees just to be sure. not bad for a 9% ABV brew :icon_drunk:

Edit: Nottingham yeast, the rottweiler of yeasts.

Ok, now I'm concerned that it's stalled :p
Tested it about 5 days after the last test, and it was still sitting at 1.018.

Any tips on how to give this a push?? I gave the fermenter a shake and turn up the temp a little bit (now sitting on 22 degrees). I'll give it another look tonight and see if it started again.

If it does not drop further, racking to a secondary vessel would be the next best bet after performing the steps you have already taken.

Ok. I had no more movement after 2 days at a couple of degrees higher, so I've racked to secondary, and we'll see how we go.

What is having an FG of 1.018 going to do to the beer?

Ok. I had no more movement after 2 days at a couple of degrees higher, so I've racked to secondary, and we'll see how we go.

What is having an FG of 1.018 going to do to the beer?
it will be full bodied and mid-alcohol, a perfect dinner ale :D

Back