Farb Malz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Levet

Reaction score
I posted this question in another thread & got the following response

Good luck, matey.
Pete

Well it seems I may have to make my own luck, or indeed my own Farb Malz !
Does anybody use this particular grain regularly? I asked a very grumpy commercial brewer who said they had used it in Black Lagers, but no longer brewed that style. I have searched the sponsors without success.
Thanks
James

Colour Malt..why called so I have no idea, but I have an inkling that the correct advice will show.
Hoepfner produces it and it was available here (Oz) 7 years ago. It is a remarkable little number, has a massive colur contribution (from memory 1200EBC??) but not a huge roast character, probably because at that EBC a litle bit goes a long way..I am chewing some now, sealed in zip-lock but still years old so certainly not fresh but my memory of it fresh is not dissimilar. Just chewed some light Choc (good thing I checked the spelling on that one) and it actually has more roast, again the LC is very fresh...so
Anyway...you cannot get it anymore, buy some roast from Pat, at least it will be fresh (insert stupid smiley).

K

If it's a high colour additive without a lot of roast maybe Pale Choc as a substitute ?

Or carafa special

Farb Malz is roasted malt, usually up around 1100 to 1200 EBC. Dr K is right - Farb means "colour". Weyermann Carafa is Farb Malz while Carafa Special is the dehusked version.

Wes

Jim,
Ulysses & I share a passion for keeping old malt :)
I found 750g left over from a bag the little hairy man was trying to flog before he left Epping.
If you have your heart set on the original, let me know.
Am in North Ryde area.

Pete

What a shame nobody stocks Hoepfner malts anymore. If only the little hairy man was still in business, he'd be able to find some!

Jimbo, maybe you could try making your own... I made some crystal malt a few months back and it worked out surprisingly well. With a bit of tweaking I don't reckon it would be too hard to churn something out that's as good as the big guys. Apparently roast malts are even easier to do! You may never need to buy specialty malts again!

I've used Baird's black malt as a substitute for farbmalz in a czech style dark lager. It works really well.

I posted this question in another thread & got the following response

Well it seems I may have to make my own luck, or indeed my own Farb Malz !
Does anybody use this particular grain regularly? I asked a very grumpy commercial brewer who said they had used it in Black Lagers, but no longer brewed that style. I have searched the sponsors without success.
Thanks
James

James
There is no possible substitute for Farb Malz. You must continue your search, & don't settle for anything less the the real thing.
Good Luck
Gerard

Given that Thomas Fawcett has recently come back on the scene, I wonder if there are any openings for Hoepfner to make a bit of a come back in Australia???

repeating for those that no lookey too good....

Jim,
Ulysses & I share a passion for keeping old malt :)
I found 750g left over from a bag the little hairy man was trying to flog before he left Epping.
If you have your heart set on the original, let me know.

Am in North Ryde area.

Pete

Pete, you'd be forgiven for thinking you were trying to get rid of it! ;)

Well worth the trip to St. Marys.
Although Pat didn't have any Farb Malz he did have plenty of others to choose from. I have a kilo of Carafa Spec 3 to play around with now. Grabbed a bag of the Barrett Burston Pale & Fawcetts Maris Otter too, not bad seeing I "needed" a kilo of roast & some yeast!
Pat gave me a taste of a nice young wheat beer that had a crisp citrus taste too it. Any clues on what hops are in there Pat?
With the range of grain that Pat stocks (including both JW & BB) I can't figure out why he hasn't been approached for a bulk buy?!?
Also I was told by another AG HB'er that Fawcetts Malts were no longer available in these parts, good to see that was wrong.
Thanks again
James

I'm glad you enjoyed that wheat beer Jim. Brewed it Sunday before last, nice and simple as all good recipes are, 70% wheat malt and 30% pilsner with about 20 grams of Cascade at 45 minutes for about 13 IBU, with another 5 IBU of Hallertau. With luck is should be gone by the end of next week.

Pat

Absolute Homebrew
St Marys & Blue Mountains

Pete, you'd be forgiven for thinking you were trying to get rid of it! ;)

Dig out & offer for free what the man wants & not even a 'no thanks' !!!! ???

Disappointing among other things,
Pete

Dig out & offer for free what the man wants & not even a 'no thanks' !!!! ???

Disappointing among other things,
Pete

Humble apologies Mr Wadey. I noted your kind offer, but as I was pulling apart the Barley Crusher for its quarterly service I got a bit carried away & too dusty to be allowed back in the house (I love my new air compressor). If there is some Carafa Spec 3 left over after the weekend brewing frenzy I will trade you a few tallies for some old Farb if your generous offer still stands. It will give me another reason to do some more side by side comparisons.
Once again many thanks :icon_cheers:
James

Humble apologies Mr Wadey. I noted your kind offer, but as I was pulling apart the Barley Crusher for its quarterly service I got a bit carried away & too dusty to be allowed back in the house (I love my new air compressor). If there is some Carafa Spec 3 left over after the weekend brewing frenzy I will trade you a few tallies for some old Farb if your generous offer still stands. It will give me another reason to do some more side by side comparisons.
Once again many thanks :icon_cheers:
James

Accepted, Jim.

Can't see myself brewing this w/end - bit too cold to venture out.
Peter

Latest posts

Back