Farb Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Bobby Dazzler Brewery
Reaction score
I am about to mill up some grain for a shwartzbier but dont have any carafa as the recipe calls for. I do have some Farb malt but am unsure how much to use and have no idea what it is like?
Anyone have any idea?
Cheers

I recently used some in a stout. Worked well - I am by no means a "stout connoisseur" but it seemed to produce a slightly more rounded flavour than the usually more bitter tasting Roasted Barley. I've heard, but don't quote me, that its pretty similar to Carafa III.

By the way, I know Gerard_M is a big proponent of this grain. Perhaps he has some comments on it???

what is Farb Malt? never eard of it?

German for "Black Malt" basically roasted malt.

Weyermann Carafa is farbmalz ( shortened Carameliziertes Farbmalz)

Carafa special is dehusked though, not sure about the farbmalz, in most recipes you use such a small amount anyway i can't see it being a big difference.

By the way, I know Gerard_M is a big proponent of this grain. Perhaps he has some comments on it???

Having sold the last kilo to T.D, it seems I have lost my enthusiasm for Farb Malz. ;) I have a couple of bags of Carafa Spec 3 which will be used in a few brews after Easter.

My understanding was that the Farb Malz still had the husk in tact where as the Carafa had been de-husked. Whatever the story, I used it in a few dark beers rather successfully, and a number of people that have used it, liked their results. As far as I know it is no longer available through the usual wholesalers.
Cheers
Gerard

Latest posts

Back