Falsey And Tap Fitting Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julez

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just building my mash tun and kettle/HLT and need help! Got my tap installed no probs, but the bottom of the esky is not completely flat. In some parts, the falsey (beerbelly) sits flush, but in others there are gaps of about 3mm or so. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to plug those gaps somehow to avoid lumps getting through? If so, what should I use? :unsure:

Also, just about to drill out my aluminium pot (50L) to fit a ball valve to it. Obviously, the pot has curved walls, but the tap fittings are designed for a square fit. What is the best way to get a flush fitting? The curve in the pot is fairly slight, so unsure if this is a concern or not. I have some plastic washers supplied with my ball valve assembly from beerbelly, but they look pretty slim.

Lastly, I also got a stainless pickup tube made up for the same 50L pot. It is only quite short - does this look right for the size of the pot (to be my kettle and HLT)? Should the pickup point straight downwards or sit sideways? The tap will sit about 10cms above the bottom of the pot if it points straight down.

Any tips would be great!! Cheers.

Hi all,

Just building my mash tun and kettle/HLT and need help! Got my tap installed no probs, but the bottom of the esky is not completely flat. In some parts, the falsey (beerbelly) sits flush, but in others there are gaps of about 3mm or so. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to plug those gaps somehow to avoid lumps getting through? If so, what should I use? :unsure:

If you can get a piece of something flat (flatter than your esky floor) to sit the falsie on, ie: a plastic lid, piece of ss sheet, piece of plastic baking tray etc. I can provide a flat piece of ss if you like, this solution has been used before by those who's esky floor isn't quite flat.

Also, just about to drill out my aluminium pot (50L) to fit a ball valve to it. Obviously, the pot has curved walls, but the tap fittings are designed for a square fit. What is the best way to get a flush fitting? The curve in the pot is fairly slight, so unsure if this is a concern or not. I have some plastic washers supplied with my ball valve assembly from beerbelly, but they look pretty slim.
The slight curve won't be an issue, just tighten slowly until it pulls up and seals. Don't be afraid of breaking the fitting - if you somehow manage to break it before it seals I will replace it. Just place one seal on the inside of the kettle, this should seal. Don't use the second seal unless you really have to, it's just a spare.

Lastly, I also got a stainless pickup tube made up for the same 50L pot. It is only quite short - does this look right for the size of the pot (to be my kettle and HLT)? Should the pickup point straight downwards or sit sideways? The tap will sit about 10cms above the bottom of the pot if it points straight down.

Not sure what you mean by 10cm from the bottom of the pot - you only have to drill the hole high enough to clear the curve at the bottom of the pot. The short straight end of the pickup can go into the bulkhead fitting or the long end depending on what suits. I would normally point the pickup off to one side, the opposite direction from the direction you wish to whirlpool the wort. 100mm from the bottom of the pot seems a lot - too much in fact, to me. Normally I would place the bottom edge of the hole approximately 50mm from the base (outside) of the pot

Any tips would be great!! Cheers.

Hope that helps mate, send me an email if you have any further issues.

Wayne

Hi Julez, I have read in the past "Beerbelly" making too suit the uneven bottom`s, i.e bottom on the falsie.
Re, drilling the hole yada yada, no problems.. you have it covered!!
10 CM from bottom? not quite sure if i follow, seems along way (a lot of tipping or a lot of loss) pick up too the side.
Keep us posted with pics....... GOOD lUCK!!!!!!!!

Thanks Wayne and everyone, think I have it sorted now!! I must say I have had nothing but fantastic service from Beerbelly, all the bits and pieces I have bought look the part and Wayne has always gone beyond the call to help out with advice. I actually had another esky with a flatter bottom, so have switched to that one and it fits much better. May go the SS sheet too though, sound like a good idea, will so how I go.

As for the kettle and pickup, I just didn't know which way it was supposed to go - obviously it mounts horizontally, not vertically, that was the part I was unsure of.

Bewdy, looks like just about right to go with it all now, can't wait for AG brew #1. Bring it on!!

:beerbang:

Wayne,
I'm putting an order in for one of your falsies next week.
I am really hanging out to get one. :D

Paul

Back