False Bottom Cooler mash tun advice.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 35 litre cooler with a 30cm false bottom (and a 1/2" ball valve tap) i was hoping to convert to a cheap mash tun. Only problem is the cooler has an inconvenient inwards ridge where the tap sits which prevents the false bottom from sitting on the base. I figure my options are either cut out the false bottom so it sits flush around the ridge or reduce the overall diameter (to say 22cm) to fit the space available. What would you do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200512-211500_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200512-211500_Chrome.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200512_204736.jpg
    20200512_204736.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200512_204726.jpg
    20200512_204726.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 39
I have a 35 litre cooler with a 30cm false bottom (and a 1/2" ball valve tap) i was hoping to convert to a cheap mash tun. Only problem is the cooler has an inconvenient inwards ridge where the tap sits which prevents the false bottom from sitting on the base. I figure my options are either cut out the false bottom so it sits flush around the ridge or reduce the overall diameter (to say 22cm) to fit the space available. What would you do?
I think I would cut the false bottom the same profile as the tap boss.

Could the false bottom be propped up higher to sit on top of that ridge?
That was my initial thought but the boss is quite high, leaves a lot of water underneath not in the mash. Could recirculate the water but then would lose temperature.
The other way is get rid of the false bottom and use some copper pipe to make a manifold with slots cut with a junior hacksaw.
1589329605364.png

That was my initial thought but the boss is quite high, leaves a lot of water underneath not in the mash. Could recirculate the water but then would lose temperature.
The other way is get rid of the false bottom and use some copper pipe to make a manifold with slots cut with a junior hacksaw.
View attachment 118155
I was originally going to make a manifold but i found a really cheap false bottom. I'm going to try and cut it to fit around the boss and just see how it goes.

In the end i did both, reduced the diameter and added a cutout. It's a bit rough looking but there are no gaps bigger than the actual holes anyway. Clearance from the bottom is 24mm in the centre and 11mm an inch in from the outside
edge. I'll pick up a smaller barb and cut some heat tolerant silicone to bridge them, then it'll be ready for a test run. It will be my first all grain so i won't really have a reference point though.

Attachments

• 20200513_160810.jpg
    20200513_160810.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 35
In the end i did both, reduced the diameter and added a cutout. It's a bit rough looking but there are no gaps bigger than the actual holes anyway. Clearance from the bottom is 24mm in the centre and 11mm an inch in from the outside
edge. I'll pick up a smaller barb and cut some heat tolerant silicone to bridge them, then it'll be ready for a test run. It will be my first all grain so i won't really have a reference point though.
Well done, another tip, cut out a piece of Styrofoam and put some foil over it and float it on the top of the mash, will help sustain the mashing temperature.

Well done, another tip, cut out a piece of Styrofoam and put some foil over it and float it on the top of the mash, will help sustain the mashing temperature.
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of low tech brewing tips i need! Trying to ease into all grain before building up better equipment.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of low tech brewing tips i need! Trying to ease into all grain before building up better equipment.
Probably how most of us started, but don't discount the helix as suggested by Fro-Daddy, I know you want to keep the expense down and I am sure the false bottom will work, just something for other beginners to think about.

Latest posts

Back