Extract Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I kind of got that, but it seemed he was describing it as a negative, where as I see it as a positive aspect of the Grainfather. Maybe it was lost in translation.

Do people post setup pics around here?
there're reams of 'show us your gear' photos on one of the forums

as per kadmium. i only have the AG system. i'm so f*****g jealous haha. i wish i could say something nice, but i'm struggling.
no, not a negative - gf AG on its own is a fine system, but there is a bit of manual transfer etc that you don't get in a 3 vessel system. but what you've got negates that. doesn't bother me, but it could annoy a 3 vessel purist.
The best response I got from someone when I asked what’s the advantage of the 3 vessel system, is it’s fantastic for people who love cleaning stuff.

Thanks. I kind of got that, but it seemed he was describing it as a negative, where as I see it as a positive aspect of the Grainfather. Maybe it was lost in translation.

Do people post setup pics around here?
on a tangent, but have you had a look at beersmith?? i probably use 20% of its functions, but on AG, invaluable for things like hop quantities for particular styles, grain colours to get the beer colour where you want it, library of all your brews, mash temperatures, on ad on. i rarely look at recipes anymore. pick a style off beersmith, and start building. maybe a recipe or two to point you in the direction, but a lot of freewheeling

when you get your gf, you can pm me if you like, i'll give you some tips on how to use it (eg splitting for 46L brews). i've got a Mark 1, from the first shipment into aus, so mine's a bit old school, but i've done - well - brew #174 today. there was a lot of on the fly learn chat going around in the early days which you don't see so much of now. so always good for a pm if you need.

Thanks butisitart, I’ll pick your brains when I get it. Though that investment will be a few months away at least. Brew #174 hey, that’s great. Brew #4 for me will go into the Grainfather fermentor in a few days.

I was tossing up between apps, and ended up getting Brewfather.

Thanks butisitart, I’ll pick your brains when I get it. Though that investment will be a few months away at least. Brew #174 hey, that’s great. Brew #4 for me will go into the Grainfather fermentor in a few days.

174 brews in the gf. pre gf is pre-history haha. actually, i got beersmith when i got gf, and didn't keep good notes before that

Brewfather and beersmith are virtually the same

Beersmith is done using gui much like the windows explorer and you have to pay again for the updated versions as well you have to pay again if you want it on a tablet or whatever

Brewfather is much better in my opinion its 1 price across all forms of systems wether your using mobile tablet pc ..

Brewfather and beersmith are virtually the same

Beersmith is done using gui much like the windows explorer and you have to pay again for the updated versions as well you have to pay again if you want it on a tablet or whatever

Brewfather is much better in my opinion its 1 price across all forms of systems wether your using mobile tablet pc ..
i knew there were others around (mentioned in earlier post), but i could only extol the virtues of the one i knew, as opposed to some pretty ordinary freeware that was around 5 years ago. i use it on a desktop and a laptop, so wasn't aware of the extra licencing, nor have i thought about upgrading versions. not questioning your research, but if i remember (without going and looking it up), i thought beersmith was licenced to 2 terminals, regardless of terminal type. the small part of the program that i use doesn't rate an issue for me at this point to upgrade. (personal usage requirements here)
although, (maybe the same with brewfather), you do get a lot of add-ons for updated supplier product info (eg bestmalz, wyeast, viking catalogues). and the new hops ratings each year''s crop. which is very handy.
anyway, not my homework to do LOL

Last edited:
i knew there were others around (mentioned in earlier post), but i could only extol the virtues of the one i knew, as opposed to some pretty ordinary freeware that was around 5 years ago. i use it on a desktop and a laptop, so wasn't aware of the extra licencing, nor have i thought about upgrading versions. not questioning your research, but if i remember (without going and looking it up), i thought beersmith was licenced to 2 terminals, regardless of terminal type. the small part of the program that i use doesn't rate an issue for me at this point to upgrade. (personal usage requirements here)
although, (maybe the same with brewfather), you do get a lot of add-ons for updated supplier product info (eg bestmalz, wyeast, viking catalogues). which is very handy.
anyway, not my homework to do LOL

not sure mate wether it covers 2 terminals .

I have never really like beer smith even though i like it now but i prefer brewfather

i can look and amend on the pc and do the same on mobile and put it on a tablet or lap top

both programs are good

not sure mate wether it covers 2 terminals .

I have never really like beer smith even though i like it now but i prefer brewfather

i can look and amend on the pc and do the same on mobile and put it on a tablet or lap top

both programs are good
all good, gives different options for people to go off and research before buying. both products will steer them in a good direction :).
holden vs ford haha
groan, just got the bad dad joke father's day pun. accidental, i swear. 'steer them in a ..........holden... not my finest moment, but it WAS accidental

I started out with FWK and 1 fermenter, after 5 brews I now have Robobrew and 3 fermenters :) and love the all grain process of making beer.
Fresh Wort kits are good way to get into brewing without having to buy lots of equipment.

I could happily keep enjoying the FWK ales, but it feels a bit like cheating and I don't want to acquire a shedload of single-use 15L plastic cubes (with actual volume around 16.5L). So where from here?
All Inn Brewing Co do FWK in a 15l goon. easy to dispose of once used.

All Inn Brewing Co do FWK in a 15l goon. easy to dispose of once used.
Thanks for the suggestion - their range of ktis looks pretty good. They're in Queensland, which is a bit far for me, but I see they have a distributor in West Melbourne. That's still further from home than I can legally travel at the moment but something I'll definitely keep in mind for the future, especially if my all grain attempt ends up a mess.

Thanks for the suggestion - their range of ktis looks pretty good. They're in Queensland, which is a bit far for me, but I see they have a distributor in West Melbourne. That's still further from home than I can legally travel at the moment but something I'll definitely keep in mind for the future, especially if my all grain attempt ends up a mess.
Their range is really good. Shouldn't be an issue getting them shipped down to you. I use to get the GnG ones shipped up here to Brissy.

Latest posts

Back