Extract Brew & Dms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barge

Reaction score
G'day fellas,

Brewed an extract lager recently with morgans lager malt, some DME and dex and fermented with Saf34/70 at 10C. Performed diacetyl rest @ 1.008. and F.g. was 1.005. Couldn't lager it as planned as my mate needed his fridge back so polyclar'd it and bottled on the 4th Oct.

So, it's been in the bottle 3 weeks and has a distinctive DMS character. On first drinking it is nearly unpalatable but improves if I leave the other half a tally in the fridge overnight. I assumed as it was an extract brew that DMS would not be an issue.

I did a full wort boil in a fermenter fitted with a couple of elements. It takes a screwtop lid so the opening is about 1/2 the fermenter diameter.

Would this catch enough condensate to result in DMS taint? I've used the kettle before to make a similar beer with no ill effects but the first beer was 40IBU where this one is 25IBU. THe only other thing I can think of is the yeast? It's the first time i've used it... can yeast contribute to DMS perception?

Cheers

Turns out that after leaving a tally in the fridge for 2 days, the DMS fades into the background. Guess I notch this up as a no-lager lager experiment.

Latest posts

Back