Exploding Bottle!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always used carbonation drops, both coopers, and the ones from grain and grape. I have never had any problems, and have been brewing since around 2000. When I brew a beer that I want highly carbed, I put extra and have never had a problem. Sometimes I have used two per 330mL bottle. For most beers I use 500mL bottles and add two drops. Because of this, I highly doubt that small variations in size of drops are going to cause bottle bombs when adding the prescribed 1 per 375mL. Although weak/old bottles are probably partly to blame, I suspect that bottle bombs only happen when fermentation is incomplete at time of bottling. My beers generally sit in primary for a couple of months, and sometimes they seem finished after a week or two, but then another three weeks later will suddenly drop in SG substantially and 'dry out'. Also, this amount of time allows much of the dissolved CO2 to escape.

Off topic, but related: Don't ever stack two full bottle trees on top of each other. I wanted to save space and stacked them in one tower. I was smart enough to put the largest bottles at the bottom and smallest at the top, but that wasn't enough. Sounded like a car crash, but without the screeching tyres. Cleanup was a pain, but I think only half a dozen bottles or so were broken and the bottle trees faired pretty well, so all in all not as bad as it could have been.

Usualy the bottom just blows out but every now and then you get a exellent splatter of glass.

DSC_0049.jpg

Does everyone who uses Coopers carb drops have bottle bombs?

15 or so batches = roughly 450 bottles carbed with coppers carbonation drops for the result of two bottle bombs from the same batch. But I'm pretty certain it wasn't fully attenuated.

Back