Experimenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcmfisher

Reaction score
I only do K&K at the moment. My brews usually turn out OK, nothing to write home about.

Before Christmas I decided to do a little bit of experimenting.

I did a Coopers pale ale with a number 2 enhancer which turned out ok. The next brew was the same except I used yeast from cpa bottle. I wanted to see what difference yeast makes. I got the yeast going again as per instructions on this great site EG - 2 echos, 60 to 600 ldme to water, shake etc. Pitched it in when foaming well, about a week later it was finished at around 24 deg (probably too warm). Bottled.
Also btw, I have always used sodium met for sanitising with no problems, but after reading that its not very good I decided to try some peroxide for this brew.

Anyway while this brew was maturing I got a coopers real ale going once again with pale ale yeast. This brew went spazzo for about 2 days and then petered out to nothing. No bubbles, no foam. Maybe its finished already. Hydro check says it wasn't. We had a bit of a heat wave during that time and the wort rose to 28 or 29 degrees. Maybe I killed the yeast. I pitched the original sachet of yeast in and it slowly bubled down to 1010 after about 10 days.

Anyway, the out come. The pale ale had lottts of head. About 3/4 of a glass in fact. Lots of big bubbles shooting out of solution and the taste - well it tasted like schmitt :angry: . A bit like champain really, vinigar and soda water. I think I was lucky I was using plastic bottles because if they were glass I would have had the bottle bomb thing happening in the kitchen cupboard and we would have had to sell the dog because thats where I would be living <_< I have never had an infection before, but I reckon I have now. Straight down the sink that batch went. :(

The next batch, the real ale after a couple of weeks smells alright and tastes quite good but is vertually as flat as a tack. The bottles feel hard in the cupboard but as soon as they are chilled are flat. :(
I have given them a shake to see if that helps in a few weeks.

Today I have bottled and put down another using bleach as a sanitiser and I am not sure I will be using either coopers yeast or peroxide in the future.

I had brewed for months using sod met as my sterilizer, hot wat and detergent as my cleaner and a good rinse inbetween.
NEVER had an infection... after reading on this forum about how bad sod met was i tried this method using sod percarb as my cleaner and morgans sanitiser end result 3 infected brews in a row (i have two fermenters) they had a really tanted smell

I went off brewing for a month... i made up another batch week before last and i went back to my old methods, and you know what i tested a 1 1/2 week old bottle today and its excellent!!!

So i dunno what i did wrong with the percarb/peroxide combo but i stuffed it up somehow and the No dont do that method works for me so im sticking with it until i have trouble again.

Back