Excessive mash temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pointer64

Reaction score
Hello all, unfortunately during my mash, the temp got too high (long story and shouldn't have happened) - into the 80's. I'm just wondering what the likely outcome is for my brew. Any ideas?

Was it early or late in the mash?

Most of the conversion happens in the first 20mins

Whats the gravity reading? Did you do an iodine test?

It happened mid way through a 60 minute mash and then I couldn't get it down. I recorded pre boil gravity at 1.034 and post boil at 1.032 (both taken with a refractometer) which makes no sense to me. So I guess one or both of the readings are unreliable. It's in a cube (no chill) so not in a position to re measure the gravity until I ferment in a couple of weeks when a fermenter becomes available. And no, no iodine test - I've heard about it but never done it. It's a test to ensure the extraction of sugars from grain - is that right?
jaypes said:
Was it early or late in the mash?
Most of the conversion happens in the first 20mins
Whats the gravity reading? Did you do an iodine test?

1030ish is a bit low but you can still make a low alc beer!

Yes iodine test will show the conversion has or hasnt taken place

How did it hit 80? What was the recipe and process, including expected gravity and intended mash temp? Something sounds amiss.

manticle said:
How did it hit 80? What was the recipe and process, including expected gravity and intended mash temp? Something sounds amiss.
Long story - doesn't really matter how, fact is it did. It was good old Dr Smurtos recipe. Mash temp should have been 68deg. Not sure of the gravity off the top my head. And yeah, something is definitely amiss - mash temp got too high as I stated.

Wonder if you'll get some tannins in your final brew because of high mash temps (I'm not sure what temp you have to get the grain too before you get some tannins from it). Perhaps not desirable for a Golden Ale recipe like Dr Smurtos.

I remember reading one of Clive la Pensee's personal recipes where he has mash temps at about 76 and 86(!) I can't remember his reasoning; he admitted it was an eccentric mashing schedule. Maybe he wanted to get tannin flavours and a beer with a full body but low fermentability. I'd be interested in knowing more about mashing at such temps - whether you could get other qualities from the grain that could benefit a brew.

Sorry to hear about your experience though. Never good when things don't go to plan.

86 will destroy sacch enzymes very rapidly. pH is just as important as temp in terms of tannin extraction though.

Pointer64 said:
Long story - doesn't really matter how, fact is it did. It was good old Dr Smurtos recipe. Mash temp should have been 68deg. Not sure of the gravity off the top my head. And yeah, something is definitely amiss - mash temp got too high as I stated.
Actually it matters to us (and we love a long story)
Fess up

Mudd

I agree. We all have a story. I just put down an amarillo / citra IPA. I didn't have the room in the kettle so I stupidly did a side mash in a small pot. I then left the gas burning on the small kettle and walked back to it boiling. I dumped it into my mash anyway and have ended up with a 1.018 FG. Bah.

I tried a new PID controller in a mate's BIAB urn. The temp probe was sitting at the top of urn, no recirc. The temp dropped very slowly, and the PID kept trying to ramp it up. More and more heating, no increase in temp. He decided to stir the pot and the pocket of liquid at the base was around 85°C. Overall the mash was brought up to about 73°C.
Numbers were still hit though. Expecting good head retention.

I usually end up drinking too much beer christening the new brew and forgot to add this or do that regularly
Haha

If you realise before the end of the boil, you can adjust up the IBU by adding extra hops in the boil.

My rule of thumb for a 25L batch is 5 IBU per degree over 67.

Back