Evolution Of A Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwb

Reaction score
Like many others who read this forum I've both enjoyed reading and learnt greatly from the many build threads posted on this site by some ingenious brewers. So in the spirit of giving back this thread will describe the evolution of my own brewing and the brewery... with pictures of course.

My first attempts were way back when interest rates were 17.5% and I was paying a mortgage for the very first time. A Coopers Home Brew Kit seemed like a fine way to save myself a few dollars. A tin of goop was mixed in the plastic bucket with some hot water, a kilo of white sugar, topped up with cold water from the tap, the plastic bucket sealed (with airlock) and left to ferment in the laundry for a week or so. In summer, it was all over in 3 or 4 days. I was then and still am located in Perth. The result was then bottled in some big brown bottles for later consumption.

The beer this produced was quite drinkable but never great. It seemed to be popular with fellow drinkers, with an esky full of the stuff consumed at most parties we went to. It must be remembered that these were the days when I drank mostly Emu Export from cans or Emu Bitter if I made it to the local pub.

I'm afraid however that as my disposable income increased, the amount of brewing decreased until after a couple of years it stopped completely. This seemed to coincide incidentally with the introduction of Matilda Bay Brewing into the market place. I can still remember my first taste of a wheat beer (Redback) out of a large tulip glass at the Captain Stirling. I'm pretty sure I scowled in disapproval but drank it anyway.

I've been fortunate enough with my work to travel quite a bit and for extended periods. One of these places was Germany, specifically Stuttgart, where I spent a couple of years learning about German beer albeit from the staff and cliental of the local Irish bar.

But I digress... more to follow.

(Now if I can just work out how to insert a picture)

gwb

I've been fortunate enough with my work to travel quite a bit and for extended periods. One of these places was Germany, specifically Stuttgart, where I spent a couple of years learning about German beer albeit from the staff and cliental of the local Irish bar.

Was it perhaps Biddy Early's Irish Pub? Ironically I spent most of my time in Stuttgart in this Irish Pub...

Great first post gwb. I am keen to hear more. I can't say welcome to the forum because that would make me sound like an old hand and I am certainly not. Bring on the story, it seems like it will be entertaining. :D

Great first post gwb. I am keen to hear more. I can't say welcome to the forum because that would make me sound like an old hand and I am certainly not. Bring on the story, it seems like it will be entertaining. :D

+1 Yes would like to hear more.

Cheers WoolBrew :icon_cheers:

(Now if I can just work out how to insert a picture)
[/font]

Like the others have said, this sounds like an interesting story that I would love to hear more of.
As for uploading pictures, here is how.

1. When you are adding a reply you will notice the Attachments section (as below). What you want to do is click Browse.... Select your image and click UPLOAD.
step1.png

2. Once it has been uploaded, under the same Attachments section you will notice the drop down box Manage Current Attachments() (as below). Click the arrow (on this box) and you will see a list of files that you have uploaded. Select the icon of the Document with a green +. This will insert the image into your post.
step2.png

Like so:
step3.png

I hope that helps!
-Nathan

Was it perhaps Biddy Early's Irish Pub? Ironically I spent most of my time in Stuttgart in this Irish Pub...

It was indeed, and what a great place it is to enjoy a beer or two. Fortunately it was on the way home from work. :)
Those stairs could be a bugger at the end of the evening though!

@alien13, thanks for the assist. Guess I'll have to scale them down to under 2mb as well?

WoolBrew, Malted, thanks for the encouragment. I shall continue.

It was a long and difficult education in Stuttgart which included 2 x beer festival every year, as well as such things as the fish festival, garlic festival, onion festival, potatoe festival and the list goes on. Seems our German friends are wonderful friendly people who will use any excuse to put up a beer tent and hand out the steins.

In the beginning, my english colleagues who had been resident in the country a good twleve months before I arrived, insisted that the beer of choice was the dunkelweizen. I followed suite for a number of weeks before splitting from the crowd and settling on the hefeweizen, which is still my beer of choice and the reason I resumed the home brew hobby.

One I brewed myself :D

hefe1.JPG

I followed suite for a number of weeks before splitting from the crowd and settling on the hefeweizen, which is still my beer of choice and the reason I resumed the home brew hobby.

Yes, I must say the hefeweizen is a favorite as well. :drinks: I prefer it over a krystal.

WoolBrew.

I can still remember my first taste of a wheat beer (Redback) out of a large tulip glass at the Captain Stirling.

This brings back a fond memory of the very first beer I bought myself at a pub.. It too was a Redback bought in the Sail & Anchor.. when I was 15 :eek: (can't believe I got away with it :D ) I think it was one of my most enjoyable beers.

Thanks for your story gwb and reviving my memory...

Cheers, Mat.

Edit: Oh & I have one of those Erdinger glasses as well. Great glass... A midget barman helped me smuggle it out of a pub in Singapore.. True story!!

My first attempts at making one of these things was to buy a brand new Coopers Home Brew kit and on the advice of a learned salesman a tin labelled Bavarian Wheat Beer ( from memory ) and set about the business of making myself a fantastic wheat beer.

Well it was late summer here in Perth and the fermentor was left in a large shed to do it's thing. At this point I should point out that SWMBO was not happy with any kind of brewing activity occuring at home. This was fine by me since dear old Dad has an eight acre property and a big shed and best of all actively encourages such hobbies. Mum however is not so keen to watch us disappear off into the shed. This can be fixed by the addition of one 3 yr old grand daughter :)

So, back to my brew. As you may have guessed, it wasn't good. At this point I had no idea about temperature control and trusted that as long as the yeast were happy doing their thing then it was all good. The beer tasted really quite average. Nothing for it but to do the appropriate research. Guess where I ended up? Yes, here on AHB and then ebay shopping for a nice big fridge.

I'm afraid I don't have any photo's of this stage of the brewery. They would only consist of a plastic bucket and a spoon in any case.

We're getting close to the good stuff now though.

Cheers and beers to all.

gwb

So, back to my brew. As you may have guessed, it wasn't good. At this point I had no idea about temperature control and trusted that as long as the yeast were happy doing their thing then it was all good. The beer tasted really quite average. Nothing for it but to do the appropriate research. Guess where I ended up? Yes, here on AHB and then ebay shopping for a nice big fridge.

Cheers and beers to all.

gwb

I would think most of us probably did this.... WoolBrew :icon_cheers:

My first attempts at making one of these things was to buy a brand new Coopers Home Brew kit and on the advice of a learned salesman a tin labelled Bavarian Wheat Beer ( from memory ) and set about the business of making myself a fantastic wheat beer.

Sounds like an ESB 3KG, good kits actually

bav_wheatlabel.jpg

Yes, thanks Stux, that's the one.
An uncontrolled ferment in a hot shed with wb06 probably didn't do the pack justice. I had high hopes for it as well. Never tried it again. Went to Coopers Wheat + liquid yeast + temp controlled fridge and I was pretty happy... for a while. :)

After brewing with kits and bits for a while the next major brewery related upgrade was a keg system. One of the more expensive purchases but worth it I think. Below is my first attempt at a transportable system. Rubbish bin + keg + picnic tap + ice. From this first keg catered party I learnt that one keg is never enough. I think I have thirteen now. :D

keg1.JPG
keg2.JPG

^^^ Looks like R2D2 has been recycled into a keg system. nice work!!!!

Cheers SJ

As mentioned in an earlier post, the greatest improvement in the end product (beer) was from the complete control of fermentation temperature. At first I used a fridge and a tempmate ( I think from memory ) from Craftbrewer, but that only allowed one of either heat or cool mode. Come a few cooler nights and the temperature in Dads shed dropped enough to chill the beer to 14-15. Not happy. By this time I'd already been reading about the Brewtroller product. I liked the idea of being able to monitor and control my remote located fridge via the internet.

So, behold my version of the Fermtroller.

fermtroller1.JPG

In the snap above the sensor is actually dangling in the mash so I can monitor the temperature, and those 240v sockets are not connected to anything. All I have is 12v powering the Brewtroller to monitor things.

I don't have any photo's of it set up with my fridge. It's quite a nice little toy, capable of monitoring and controlling multiple zones independently. Remote access at this time requires a PC on the network connected to the Brewtroller's USB port.

At this point I was still basing my brews on a tin of goop + bits. Bits consisted of anything from another tin of goop, a packet of "Brew Enhancer", steeped grains or even a minimash in my new 19 litre BigW stock pot. Unfortunately, the quality of the end product varied far more than I wanted. I just could not get consistant predictable results from the processes I followed. I came to the conclusion that I had variable quality in some of the ingredients I used. Specifically the basis for the brew, the tin of goop (well it couldn't be my fault now could it :p ). This gave me the excuse I need to go all grain (like I needed an excuse). I was almost there anyway. Just needed a nice big pot.

As luck would have it I was in a Rangers Camping store one afternoon and spotted a 50l ss pot for $99. Score!! It was very thin and of doubtful quality but I wanted to go electric anyway. The addition of an over the side immersion element, some insulation meant for a garage door from the big green shed, a weldless valve kit, a biab bag and I was set for my first biab session... a Belgium Wit.

ingredients1.JPG

brew1.JPG

brew2.JPG

boil1.JPG

Now that I was an all grain brewer :D I could take advantage of the cost savings available by buying grain in bulk. Luckily dear old Dad had spread the word and oneof his friends donated this little number.

mill1.JPG

mill2.JPG

Unfortunately this was quite slow, taking ~40 minutes to mill 5kg so I quickly made some changes to make it set and forget.

mill3.JPG

The biab system as it stood served me well for quite a while. I could set up, brew, tear down and clean up pretty easily and there wasn't much to clean in any case. The beer from the system was also really quite good. It must have been. The "minister of war, finance and recreation" (the missus ) is a fussy beer drinker from way back who frequents the likes of "The Belgium Beer Cafe" and it was now her preferred drink of an evening (hence the latest approval for all things brewing in our garage ).

However, I'd done my research and knew my beer could be improved upon. Once again it was temperature management that seemed to be the key. I was looking for the ultimate hefeweizen recipe here on AHB and it seemed I would need to perform a stepped mash to achieve what I was after. Not surprisingly I came across a post from a very nice German man (Zwickle I think) that looked like exactly what I was after.

A stepped mash didn't sound too hard. I'd read of people using the immersion elemnts to step the mash while using it to stir the mash so I gave that a go. The advantage of a biab mash with something like this is taht it's a nice thin mash. It proved doable if not a little difficult to get the temperatures exact. It did produce a very nice beer though. Exactly what I was after. I was feeling rather pleased.

By this time I'd installed the first brewtroller project as a fermtroller up in the shed to look after the fermentation fridge and so had built a second unit for monitoring and eventually controlling the brewery.

brewtroller1.JPG

I decided this was all very good, but what I really needed was a heat exchanger or maybe a rims unit. I settled on a heat exchanger. The photo below is the first wet test. Couple of leaks to fix but it performed nicely... as it should since it was merely copied from the pages of AHB (Many thanks by the way to those who went before me and did most of the hard work). There was still now control implemented from the Brewtroller. I still hadn't decided how I wanted the 240v side wired up, so I was still step mashing with my immersion element.

heatexch1.JPG

I now had a taste for the wheat beers made with a step mash. The extra work seemed to pay off. Well, it was extra work when using an over the side element. I have to admit though that this method could lead to scorched / burnt stuff on the element. The first time this happened I was a little slow detecting it. Not sure what really caused the problem, but the element was caked with thick black crusty burnt rubbish. I stopped mashing, cleaned up the element and carried on. This beer turned out to have a pleasant smokey aroma ( if you like that kind of thing ) and an initial smokey taste. Overall the beer seemed quite a pleasant little number. Not one I would want to drink all the time, but way too good to chuck. SWMBO doesn't like it at all. At the moment it's aging in a fridge. I may end up moving it to bottles eventually. I've now had this problem a number of times but was quick enough to detect and fix the problem so it hasn't appeared in the beer... which is good.

I decided it was time to finish what I'd started and wire up some relays for the Brewtroller and install an element and false bottom in the pot. The over the side element could be used to speed things up when needed :)

element1.JPG

falsebottom.JPG

The first beer I made with this set up was a simple single temp mash and then ramp to mashout while stirring. Worked really well. Pleny of grunt to get the ~25l up to boil. I was happy with the latest mods. Happy enough that I tried a stepped mash the very next day.

This seemed to be going quite well. I was stirring the mash as the temp ramped up and no sign of any burning. So when I pulled the bag of grain from the pot and began the boil I was pretty happy with the days work. However when I came back to the pot towards the end of the boil... there was that terrible smell of burning wort.

Bugger!!

This turned out to be so badly burnt that I had to chuck it. More Changes were needed!! I had to finish that heat exchanger project :angry:

Back