Evening all!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoofy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Stumbled upon this utopian vision and felt the need to become a part of it.

But, I'm green. Real green. Never brewed before.

Am hoping to learn all I need to get the ball rolling.

After some advice if I may? I get that a good starting point is a "starter kit", but is there any reason why it wouldn't be wise to leap straight into a BIAB setup?

Cheers
Whoofy

Welcome aboard !

Track down a local home brew shop, and go and spend some time getting some advice. The starter kit, will include a fermentor and everything else you would need, BIAB or not

Coopers kits from Kmart are easily obtainable and will do the job for a good price (no experience with the no airlock thing though)

Heap of knowledge here, browse away

Enjoy

Thanks for the welcome Ian.

Yep, there's a brew shop not too far from me. Will check it out soon.

Cheers

Where abouts in Melbourne are you? Maybe you can get along to a members brew day, its a very rewarding hobby/obsession which can easily change your life and perception of beer… will effect what you think of as a decent drop for sure..

Best of luck with it all.

Hi Yob,

Am in Croydon. Seems to be a few folk on the forum from around my parts. And some retailers in the area (Boronia, and up near Warby).
I think I'll spend a few days scanning the boards. I know that a lot of the questions I have have been asked and answered here many times!

I do, however, have an initial mid term goal. That is to brew something that resembles the Mountain Goat Hightail Ale (a kind of "fruity" amber) and the Hargreaves Hill Pale.

Early days though. Looking forward to the journey.

Ha! Good shit, you're welcome to pop round on a brewday if ya like, I'm not a dirty BIABer (4v) and just round the corner from you in Ringwood, Pete down in Boronia at the brewers Den is probably the closest HBS to you, if you want base malt grains, best to ring your order through the day before.

Cheers

Yob said:
$30 a refill? Bollox to that, they will want to be offering some cracking beer.. Much rather support Purvis or slow beer
Welcome. There are a few of us around croydon.
Melbourne brewers club is held in boronia. There is a meeting next week. Your welcome to come along
Www.melbournebrewers.org

Edit. Theres plenty of info on here to read. Also check out palmers how to brew. Its available online.

Whoofy said:
After some advice if I may? I get that a good starting point is a "starter kit", but is there any reason why it wouldn't be wise to leap straight into a BIAB setup?
Grab a starter kit and brew that first up but ferment at 18C, when thats done and youve had a taste and decide if you want to go further. There are many ways to go about it, systems to look at, do a few brew days with other brewers to decide which way you want to go. I can show you the ways of the dirty BIAB. Im in Croydon North. All the best.

Thanks all.
MB, why 18c? I was under the impression that most of the k&k's (ales, at least) can handle a slightly higher temp? Although my "impressions" are at best rudimentary and sheepish.
Apologies for the noob question!

they can handle a higher temp however you will get better results at 18c. Also replace the kit yeast with something else maybe like US-05. If I were you though I'd look at doing a couple of kit brews while at the same time hopefully getting to view someone else do BIAB, then have a crack at it yourself.

Back