Evacool Esky Mash Tun Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litre_o_cola

Reaction score
As I want to move over to AG, I figured I would start assembling the gear.

Starting with the mash tun

I have a 60L evacool esky and as these have excellent thermal properties (and it has a drain bung) which is the problem as it has a very coarse thread on it and I have not been able to find a fitting to match.

1. Has anyone else used one of these eskies?

2. Should I stop looking and put in the brass threaded tube? (2 pop rivets on the outside)

3. What size tube is good for fittings and such, standard 15mm?

4. Dead space problem overcome with insulation/camping mat? (possibly suggested by butters in a non airlock related thread?)

Cheers Mick

Gday Mick,

I have the 65 litre Evakool. This was initially going to be my mash tun so I installed a tap into it. Then I later changed my mind as we do use it a fair bit for travelling and I went out and bought a 47 litre esky just for a mash tun instead.

But like you say, there are only 2 pop rivets and out comes the drain assembly. I then used the 3/4" brass thread, with lock nuts/washers, and whacked a ball valve on the end. Im sure it would have worked just fine if I had kept it together. Anyway, I dismantled the tap and re-rivetted the drain assembly back in and its all as good as new. Its now used as my fermentation fridge :)

The only thing with the Evakool I wasnt too happy about was the way the drain hole sat so far above the floor, which also had a bid scallop out of it just under the drain. I think it might have resulted in a frustrating amount of loss of liquid.

Cheers,
Jake

I have decided to continue with the Evakool idea as it sits in the shed doing nothing.

I have started making the manifold from left overs in the shed which will be 1/2 copper pipe into a 3/4 collector then to the tap, it is just a 2 tube into 1 type (no middle or cross pipe) is there any hard and fast rule on the space between slots in the pipe or is it a case of the more the better so like a 5mm gap?

I did see a thread on how to make one but for the life of me can't find it again. :rolleyes:

And yes the manifold is soldered but with the Birkomatic lead free solder. ;)

I have decided to continue with the Evakool idea as it sits in the shed doing nothing.

I have started making the manifold from left overs in the shed which will be 1/2 copper pipe into a 3/4 collector then to the tap, it is just a 2 tube into 1 type (no middle or cross pipe) is there any hard and fast rule on the space between slots in the pipe or is it a case of the more the better so like a 5mm gap?

I did see a thread on how to make one but for the life of me can't find it again. :rolleyes:

And yes the manifold is soldered but with the Birkomatic lead free solder. ;)

I made mine 5mm apart I think if you went any tighter than that you wouldn't have much copper left to play with.

gallery_9761_435_9364.jpg

Made the manifold to come apart for cleaning. All 3/4 pipe

I dont think theres any hard n fast rule as long as you can get as many slots into it without the manifold losing its strength.

Cheers
Steve

Esky1.jpg

Esky2.jpg

Mick,

If you are planning on batch sparging, don't worry too much about the geometry. If you are going to fly sparge, Palmer makes
some good points to avoid channelling etc.

Good luck with it and enjoy the joys and frustrations of AG.

Cheers,
smudge

I hate to say this but I would love an evacool esky to use as well,... an esky. I'm saving up for one of these or maybe a tropical esky. So basically I'm jealous of anybody with the bucks to start hacking up an evacool. You're a lucky *******. I hope all your fish come home warm and soggy!

I hate to say this but I would love an evacool esky to use as well,... an esky. I'm saving up for one of these or maybe a tropical esky. So basically I'm jealous of anybody with the bucks to start hacking up an evacool. You're a lucky *******. I hope all your fish come home warm and soggy!

Not in 2 55L Engel's they don't.... :D And to make it worse Henno I won mine about 10 years ago.... with a dirty great big Emu Draft Bitter logo on it.

And with them it is only a simple mod of drilling out 2 pop rivets, so is completely repairable. Also will be able to remove the tap and manifold, put on a cap for esky usage.

Well mash tun almost done, once ball valve is back in stock I can get one and we are in business.

DSC00167.JPG

Back