Euro Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigwilk

Reaction score
Brewed a Dortmunder export (D.A.B)last November, let it lager in a cool room at work at 2c for 3 months. took the keg on a camping trip on Australia day. The flavour was ok but nothing much like the euro lagers that I usually enjoy. I decided to leave the keg out of the kegerator when we returned home from the camp trip, its been just over a month at room temps, just yesterday put the keg back in the kegerator got home from work today and thought I would have a pot or two and to my amazement its changed a hell of a lot, its pretty well spot on in terms of that Euro flavour that it was missing before, anybody else experienced this type of change of flavour in there beers? its got me scratching my head a bit. I think I would do the same again but without the long lagering phase to try and get that flavour that I getting at the moment.

Hi big wik.

I have been experementing by leaving one keg in the cupboard and one in the fridge straight after im done fermenting too see any difference. I ferment 40l at a time, so enuf to fill 2x 19l kegs, mainly with ales tho, I find a mild improvement, only in the cooler months, i find the hotter weather will spoil them. I consider it an in keg secondary ferment. Most of the time i just ferment down to FG, keg then i the fridge for ales, lagers always go from the fermenter straight to the 2c fridge.

I have left the odd keg lager out to come up to room temp, in some cases it improves the flav, but mostly they turn bad, I think your timing was just right. I have never left a keg of lager out of the fridge more than a week. Any longer and ive found they turn to shit. I avoid it when i can.

Im thinking the bit higher temp got the remaining yeast going and thew off a few flavours that were favorable maby??

Cheers Roko

Latest posts

Back